11-Day Silk Route Adventure
Destinations: Xian, Dunhuang, Turpan, Urumqi, Kashgar
Tour Type: Private Tour
Tour Code: ct-sl-03s
Overview: Explore the historical, beautiful and mysterious Silk Route of Old China with this unique tour. Visit historical ruins, ancient beautiful Chinese architectures, Buddhism temples and historical wonders.
Arrive in Xi'an (Flight not Included)
Destinations & activities: Airport to Hotel Transfer (Xian), Receive a free cell phone from your guide along with free rental for 7 days
- Free cell phone package: This free package will include your SIM card, a cell phone and rental cost for 7 days along with 30 or more free minutes, collection and delivery in China. Please return the cell phone to the guide upon departure. Standard rate recharge available once free minutes on the phone are used. Please Note: Rental phones don’t work in Hong Kong.
Free minutes will vary based on the call destination.
Destinations & activities: Terracotta Warriors and Horses, Big Wild Goose Pagoda, a handmade pottery factory
- The Terracotta Warriors and Horses (2 hours): Explore one of the most popular attractions of China, the Terracotta Warriors and Horses. This impressive army of more than 7000 chariots, horses, archers and soldiers were accidentally discovered in 1974 guarding over the tomb of Emperor Qin since 210 BC. Every figure in the army is unique and painstaking excavation and repair still continues today in three protected pits. There's also a great museum. Comfortable shoes are recommended.
- Big Wild Goose Pagoda (1 hour): The simple yet elegant brick pagoda is an important Buddhist site. Located on the site of UNESCO World Heritage Site Da Ci’en Temple, the pagoda had been built for housing Buddhist materials brought from India by Xuanzang in the 7th century. The complex is home to many Buddhist murals, statues and large halls.
- Chongde Handmade Pottery Factory: This well known factory uses Jing De porcelain to recreate copies of the Terracotta Horses and Warriors. This is a great place for tourists who want high quality, special souvenirs. You will be able to observe the manufacturing process as well as participate in it.
Address: No.2 East Chanhe bridge, Hua Qing Rd., Xian.
- Reallove Restaurant: Located close to the Small Wild Goose Pagoda, this fine restaurant is among the finest in the city. The restaurant is popular for its excellent service, elegant environment and Shaanxi cuisine.
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Reallove Restaurant
Destinations & activities: Shaanxi History Museum, Ancient City Wall, Forest of Stele Museum
- The Shaanxi History Museum (1.5 hours): It is probably one of the best museums in China. Shaanxi’s history is believed to be China’s history. The museum has various Tang style buildings within which the four galleries are located. The collection is impressive, vast and beautifully displayed. Some items are labeled in English but the guide can help you with the others.
- Ancient City Wall (30 minutes): Built during the 13th century on the original Tang Forbidden City’s foundations, the Ancient City Wall is the most complete and the oldest city defenses existing anywhere. The area includes watchtowers, gates, ramparts and walls. The entire circuit is 14km long and can be explored on foot, on bike (CNY40/person), electric car (CNY40/person) or by a rickshaw (CNY40/ person- 45 minutes). In the event that the weather is not good for the city wall visit, we will substitute it with a Bell Tower visit.
- Forest of Stele Museum (1 hour): Xian’s Forest of Steles had been built firstly during the Northern Song Dynasty. The museum was created when a very large collection of Confucian steles cut in the year 837 AD was moved here. This is the oldest existing Confucian classics text in the country. The museum also has all types of scripts, calligraphy, reports, poems, objects and early sculptures from the Imperial tombs.
- A Wa Shan Zhai Restaurant (Qinling Branch): This restaurant was established in the year 2004 and since then it has become a popular establishment for Sichuan and Hunan cuisine. The restaurant creates dishes using ingredients from xancin and has earned nationwide reputation.
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at A Wa Shan Zhai Restaurant
Xi'an to Dunhuang (Flight No. TBA)
Destinations & activities: Muslim Street, Hotel-Airport Transfer
- Muslim Street (1 hour): Also known as Muslim Quarter, it is located in downtown of Xian. This is a 500 meter long street which is dotted with unique stalls, bars, cafes and souvenir shops and is paved with bluestones, mostly run by Muslim. It is a great place for shopping or trying some authentic Muslim food.
- Qianzhou Restaurant (Xiao Yanta Branch): Well known for its nationally famous Qianzhou Four Treasures style, this restaurant is popular for local ingredients and flavors from Qian County. The restaurant specializes in creating dishes originating from the Tang Dynasty.
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Qianzhou Restaurant
Destinations & activities: Mogao Grottoes, The Singing Sand Mountains and Crescent Spring, Riding on a Camel
- Mogao Grottoes (3.5 hours): The grottoes were constructed from 4th till the 14th century. The Mogao Grottoes hold the richest treasure in the world of Buddhist sculptures, murals and sutras. It is also home to the third largest Buddha in the world. The caves are 17 km from Dunhuang.
- The Singing Sand Mountains and Crescent Spring (2 hours): Located in the Singing Sand Mountains, the Crescent Spring is an amazing oasis in a dry desert. The name of the spring is due to the lake in the shape of a crescent that is formed by spring water between two large sand dunes. The pool doesn’t ever dry up though the area is quite dry.
- Riding on a Camel: Enjoy the unique experience of camel riding in the Singing Sand Mountains desert. Enjoy the gorgeous view of smooth, wavy yellow dunes with the blue sky in the background. This is also a great place to listen to the songs of the sand.
- Fengqingyuan Restaurant: Located in Dunhuang near Moon Spring, this is a courtyard style restaurant that is very popular with locals and serves dishes based on the local flavors.
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Fengqingyuan Restaurant
Dunhuang - Turpan
Destinations & activities: The Yumenguan Pass, The Great Wall of Han Dynasty, Yadan Landform Park, Hotel to Train station Transfer (Dunhuang)
- The Yumenguan Pass (30 minutes): The Yumenguan Pass had been one of the western gates to exit the country during Han Dynasty. The shifting sands have damaged the pass but the place is still very splendid. Yumeng Town: This is the site of the first ever oil field in China.
- The Great Wall of the Han Dynasty (0.5 hour): The wall had been built during the Han Dynasty for defending their area against nomadic Xiongnu.
- Yadan Landform Park (2.5 hours): The vast park is also known as Evil City, it offers astonishing views of different landforms. Popular for its vivid rocks in unique shapes resembling animals and other famous attractions including its interesting night sounds.
- Caigenxiang Restaurant: The restaurant is located in Dunhang near the Moon Spring and is popular for hotpots, mutton rolls and Sichuan dishes.
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Caigenxiang Resuatrant
Destinations & activities: Train station to Hotel Transfer, Suleiman Minaret, The Karez Wells, The Ruins of the Ancient City of Jiaohe, Local vineyard visit, Turpan Minority Souvenir and Carpet Shop
- Suleiman Minaret (40 minutes): Known sometimes as the Sugong Tower, the Suleiman Minaret is the largest ancient tower in Xinjiang as well as the only ancient Muslim minaret in China.
- The Karez Wells (40 minutes): Dating back thousands of years ago, the Karez Wells is an irrigation system of different wells which are then connected through underground channels. Karez Wells are considered to be China’s biggest ancient projects. Tourists can also visit the Karez Wells Museum and Folk Garden located close to Turpan in the center of the city. The famous vineyards and fruits of the dry, hot desert communities were because of the Karez wells. The ancient irrigation channels were fed once by wells tapping into the melting snow from the mountains. The system continues to function even today.
- The Ruins of the Ancient City of Jiaohe (2 hours): One of the best preserved, oldest and largest city ruins in the world, the Jiaohe Ruins are a must visit. Jiaohe had been originally built during the Han and Qin Dynasties by the Cheshi people. The ruins are located in Yarnaz Valley, had been dug out and been constructed from the parched yellow-gray grounds of the narrow vertical island in the river. It is also a great vantage point to enjoy the views of the surrounding landscape with orchards, vineyards, mountains and desert.
- Local vineyard visit (40 minutes): Well known for its fruits, particularly grapes, Turpan has plenty of vineyards. Visit a vineyard run by a local family for a real experience. The family plants its grapes in their backyard and the fruits are a major income source for the locals. Walk around the vineyard and learn more about the locals’ daily lifestyle.
- Turpan Minority Souvenir and Carpet Shop: Located in a Turpan suburb, the store mainly deals in Xinjiang carpet, famous medicine raw materials from Xinjiang, Hetian jade and Xinjiang’s travel books.
Address: Welcome Pavilion Trufan ,Xinjiang
- Red Rose Restaurant: The restaurant is located close to Turpan museum and is popular with the locals for its Uygur cuisine. Recommended dishes here are lamp chop and Xinjiang rice.
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Red Rose Restaurant
Turpan to Urumqi
Destinations & activities: Land Transfer from Turpan to Urumqi, Boat Trip on Heavenly Lake
- Heavenly Lake Boat Trip (40 minutes): Tian Chi or the Heavenly Lake is a blue, beautiful mountain lake. The lake’s blue water is starkly contrasted by the snowy mountain peaks, high meadows and forested steep hills behind. You can cruise the lake on a boat, explore the area on foot or table a cable car or electric cart.
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch
Urumqi to Kashgar (Flight No. TBA)
Destinations & activities: Hotel to airport Transfer, The Id Kah Mosque, Bazaar, Zhiren Street, Xinjiang Minority Handicraft Center
- Id Kah Mosque (40 minutes): The Id Kah Mosque is the busiest and largest mosque in China. Dating back to the 15th century, this mosque has pleasant courtyards. On Fridays, close to 10,000 people visit the mosque around midday to pray. The Main Hall has authentic Islamic rugs, carvings and pillars. Women will be required to cover their legs and arms while everyone will be required to remove shoes.
- Bazaar (2 hours): This ancient, bustling market is popular throughout Asia and it attracts merchants and locals from Xinjiang and even from Kirghizstan and Pakistan. The market has wonderful offerings of souvenirs, scarves, carpets, rugs, textiles, leather, shoes, clothes, delicacies, dried fruit and an eclectic collection of other local items. The market is open throughout the week. Sunday is the busiest day when all the local farmers visit the town.
- Zhiren Street (1 hour): This ancient street is located close to the Id Kah Mosque. The street has a vivid range of items crafted by hand and on sale ranging from exotic musical instruments to cookware. Everything in Kashgar is imported or handmade by the locals. Marvel at jewelry, woodwork, porcelain, metal and copper handmade items.
- Xinjiang Minority Handicraft Center: The center deals in national handicrafts and their most popular items are silk carpets and Heitian jade.
Address: 143# Minzu District Xiyu Anvenue,Kashgar,Xinjiang
- Orida Culture Restaurant : The restaurant is located close to the mosque and specializes in Muslim cuisine and is decorated in authentic Uygur style.
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Orida Culture Restaurant
Destinations & activities: Lake Karakuli
- Lake Karakuli (2 hours): This sparkling and beautiful glacial lake is situated at the foot of Muztagata Mountains, the Father of all Glaciers. The railway that passes by the lake connects Pakistan with China. Lake Karakuli is popular for its clear water and beautiful scenery. The water here ranges from dark to light color shade.
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch
Kashgar to Urumqi (Flight NO. TBA)
Destinations & activities: Hotel to Airport Transfer
Your tour guide will escort you to the airport for the flight to Urumqi. Thank you for taking this China tour with China Travel, hope to see you again soon!
Hotels and Accommodation
Dates and Prices
Terms & Conditions
- Entrance fees.
- Meals listed in the itinerary.
- Private transfers.
- Private English-speaking guide and driver.
- Hotels listed in the itinerary.
- Service Charge & Taxes.
- China Life Tourist Accident/Casualty Insurance.
- Luggage Transfers.
- International Airfare or Train Tickets to enter or leave China.
- China Entry Visa Fees.
- Excess Baggage Charges.
- Personal Expenses.
- Any meals that are not mentioned in the tour itinerary.
- Single Room Supplement.
- Price may change during some Chinese festivals.
- Price is subject to change based on exchange rate.
- We accept both on-line payment (by Paypal® and Moneybookers®) and wire transfer.
- A deposit of 10% ot the total cost is required when you confirm your booking.
- For Cancellation Refunds, please click here.
You may also like these tours
Not Satisfied with this tour? Why not make your own tour?
$ 2,979 Per Person
With Private Guide + Driver
Travel Confidently with Us
10,000 Satisfied Customers
50 Years in China Travel Industry
Quick Response within 24 hours
Secured Online Payment
Group Tours with Solo Adventure
No Hidden Fees and No Traps