Tibetan Discovery Tour
6-Day, Lhasa, Shigatse, Private Tour (ct-xz-2s)
Tailor-make Your Trip!
Want to make some changes on this itinerary? Just tell us your dates, your interests and your way. We can tailor-make a trip for you.
Day by Day Tour Itinerary
Arrive in Lhasa, Flight not included
Destinations & activities: Airport Transfer (Lhasa)
- Smart Tips:
It needs 20 days to process Tibet Travel Permit. China Travel kindly suggests you confirm your tour at least 30 days ahead of time.
Destinations & activities: Sera Monastery, Norbulingka, Drepung Monastery
- Sera Monastery (3 hours): Located in Lhasa’s northern suburbs, this monastery is home to three colleges and an assembly hall. Dating back to 1419, this monastery is one the Lhasa’s three main monasteries and had been founded by a disciple of Tsongkhapa.
Tips: Visitors can attend the monks’ daily debates at 15:00 every day except Mondays.
- Norbulingka (2.5 hours): The Jeweled Garden is a beautiful summer palace where Dalai Lama had once lived. The building was also once used for government administration.
- Drepung Monastery (3.5 hours): Located under the Gambo Utse Mountain, the beautiful white buildings of the monastery date back to 1416. Visit the monastery in August to attend the Shonton Festival when it comes alive with a lively atmosphere.
- Kechu Hotel: With a beautiful garden and great views, this restaurant serves authentic Nepalese and Tibetan food.
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Kechu Hotel
Destinations & activities: Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, Barkhor Street
- Potala Palace (1 hour): This vast palace is a maze of stairs and corridors leading to richly decorated rooms, antiques, murals, tombs and statues. Visit the Red Palace and White Palace and observe the pilgrims as they make their offerings.
- Jokhang Temple (2 hours): This four storey temple with a golden roof is an important part of Tibetan Buddhism. Thronged by visitors and pilgrims, the temple has yak butter lamps burning in front of the rich statuary.
- Barkhor Street (2 hours): Experience the lifestyle of Tibetans in this 1,300 year old street encircling the temple as the pilgrims circle the temple or prostrate. Surrounding the street are color stores and stalls, tea houses and coffee shops.
- Steak House Restaurant: Serving Tibetan and Western cuisine, this beautiful restaurant is surrounded by gorgeous landscape.
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Steak House Restaurant
Lhasa to Shigatse
Destinations & activities: Yomdrok Lake, Our guide and driver will escort you from Lhasa to Shigatse, The Palgor Chorten
- Yomdrok Lake (2 hours): Explore the abundant natural resources and dozen islands of Lake Yamdrok- Tibet’s largest water bird habitat.
- Local Restaurant: The choices here are limited but our guide will arrange for the best available local restaurant.
- The Palgor Chorten (1.5 hours): Also known as Palcho Monastery, this Tibetan Monastery is unique because of its structural style. Get amazed by the beautiful mural art, sculptures and architecture of this impressive monastery.
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Local Restaurant
Shigatse to Lhasa
Destinations & activities: Tashilunpo Monastery, Our guide and driver will escort you from Shigatse to Lhasa
- Tashilunpo Monastery (2 hours): One of the most culturally and historically important monasteries in Tibet, the Tashilunpo Monastery was founded in 1447. Clustered together in beautiful terraced rows, the white and red buildings of the monastery offer beautiful views. The five storey temple here showcases Tibetan architecture and is home to the large Maitreya Buddha statue.
- Local Restaurant: The choices here are limited but our guide will arrange for the best available local restaurant
Meals: Breakfast, Chinese Lunch at Local Restaurant
Depart Lhasa, Flight not included
Destinations & activities: Hotel to airport Transfer (Lhasa)
Terms & Conditions （More...）
Note: A Tibet Travel Permit is required to enter Tibet in addition to a China Visa. The Tibet Tourism Administration has recently indicated that they will tighten the regulations which control the issuance of Tibet Travel Permits. Besides now having to enter Tibet in a group of five people or more of the same nationality, the permit will be issued just 4-5 days before arriving in Lhasa. This means that we are unable to guarantee that a permit to travel will be approved. Also the permit will need to be sent to the place of departure in China for Lhasa by express courier. The additional cost will be 300–400 CNY. Your travel advisor will provide additional information. We apologize for this extra cost. However, it is out of our control.
You May Also Like These Tours:
- The sublime Potala Palace
- Amazing view of the Yomdrok Lake
- Monks' everyday life
- Safe and comfortable escort
Feel free to contact us via:
Phone: 86-773-2889566 ( Leon Long )
Fax: +86-773-2827424 or 2885308
Mail Address: Chinatravel.com/CITS Guilin, Binjiang Road No. 11, Guilin, P.R. China, 541002
Travel Confidently with Us
10,000 Satisfied Customers
50 Years in China Travel Industry
Quick Response within 24 hours
Secured Online Payment
Group Tours with Solo Adventure
No Hidden Fees and No Traps