Almost every visitor will be affected by the high altitude as Tibet is located over 3000 meters above sea level and many areas are above 5000 meters. Most of the visitors get acclimatized to the high altitude by taking it easy for one or two days.
We would like to make several suggestions to those considering going to Tibet.
1. People with serious heart diseases should not visit Tibet. Those with less serious heart problems need to consult a doctor before traveling.
2. People with high or low blood pressure need to consult a doctor before traveling.
3. Try to keep healthy and not to catch a cold before entering Tibet.
4. The first day arriving in Tibet, visitors are advised not to take a bath, and smokers not smoke. Drink plenty of water while traveling in Tibet.
5. Eat light, high-carbohydrate food for more energy and avoid alcohol as it may increase the risk of dehydration.
6. Tell your guide immediately if you don't feel well. Follow the guide's advice.
7. It is advisable to use sunscreen, sunglasses, lip creams to protect your eyes and skin, for Tibet's high altitude and thin atmosphere allow the sun's solar radiation to strike the earth with unusual intensity.
8. In addition to the normal medications for traveling, it is advisable to bring high altitude medication. Ask your doctor for suggestions.