- About Shangri-la Express
- Shangri-la Express Tours
- Related Deals
FAQs about Shangri-la Express
- The number and order of carriages is subject to slight adjustment according to the number of passengers.
- Voltage on the trains: The Shangri-La Express has 48 volt power in the rooms and 220 volts in the corridors. Two-pin European and three-pin British adapters are available on board.
- Due to limitations in water storage, customers who are last to use the showers may experience lack of temperature or water pressure (except when the train is at a station when water can be continuously replenished).
- Water levels are topped up at each station, so usually water is enough. If customers experience a deficiency in temperature or water pressure one of the attendants will be able to advise when the water will again be suitable for showering.
- While at a station toilets in Classic Twin-Bed Rooms carriages will be locked, so customers must wait until reaching a hotel to go to use a toilet.
- As toilets in the Standard Rooms carriages are of suction containment design, they can be used at stations.
- As the Shangri-La Express must fit in with the China Rail Authorities’ schedule, in the event of an unforeseen delay, the itinerary may need to be altered slightly.
- Each tour group, of about 30 people, will be given a tour escort who will accompany the group, handling all the logistics throughout the whole trip. Local guides will be arranged in each destination.
- There will be some early starts, so customers should rest well when there is opportunity.
- As far as possible customers will eat at hotels and restaurants as the quality of food and environment is better than can be achieved on the train.
- Please understand that the best possible hotels are chosen for each location, but there are limitations to the quality available in smaller cities, i.e. Tianshui and Turpan.
- Tipping: It is usual to tip the attendants for extra service. As a guideline 40RMB/day would be usual for personal service, given separately to each attendant is preferable.
- Clients with limited mobility: The train corridors are too narrow for wheelchairs, but one is kept on board if needed for off-train tours. Please advise upon booking if you require a wheelchair and we will do our best to accommodate the request. However, it may not be possible to go on all of the excursions, as some are not wheelchair-accessible.
Luxury Shangri-la Express Tours
Scenery on the Road