With right preparation, necessary assistant tools, proper planning and reasonable arrangements, disabled travelers can not only gain happiness from travel, but also can improve their physical strength in some extent. Disabled travelers are welcome to China and will be friendly treated by hospitable Chinese people. Barrier-free environment in China is developing fast, which are now more accessible in the public areas, such as transport, airport and hotel. The following is some useful information for disabled travelers:
1. Choose a good destination, taking its natural environment, culture and especially its barrier-free environment into consideration. For example, Beijing is an appropriate destination because of its beautiful scenery, rich culture and its highly developed barrier-free environment which has been proved after Beijing 2008 Paralympic Games. Besides, barrier-free environment in cities like Shanghai, Tianjin, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Shenyang and Qingdao also develop very fast.
2, Make sure that you are fit to travel. Do a thorough physical examination and ask your doctor for advice on your travel and itinerary planning.
3. Booking a private tour of your small group of family or friends with travel agency, which can provide you the privacy to travel alone and to have the freedom to change the travel dates, schedule, tour programs, and hotels freely, is recommended. Disclose the condition of your disability to the travel agency so that they can customize your tour. It will be much safer, more interesting and convenient.
4. Choose a relaxing, flexible and fairly simple itinerary. There should be lots of stops along the way to have a break.
5. Pack your luggage well. Remember to take enough drugs with prescription, the equipment needed to enjoy and complete your travel as well as some spare parts and the toolbox for emergency repairs.
6, Contact the airport or other transport station to familiarize yourself with the barrier-free facilities and equipment there. If necessary, you can ask the attendants for help.
7. Remember to buy appropriate travel insurance.
8. Make sure that you are conversant with the hotel emergence procedures in the event of fire, etc and can access to them.