Laws and regulations in correlation to tourists and the relevant stipulation
The foreign tourists should consciously abide by the Chinese laws and regulations and the concerning stipulation in China. Those who violate the laws and regulations as well as the relevant stipulation are bound to hold responsibility according to law.
1 To enter China with valid certificates
The foreign travelers must present valid passports, China visas, credentials and the certificates of hygiene quarantine to the frontier inspecting checkpoint of the appointed ports. They are required to fill in an entering card and cannot enter until the inspecting checkpoint approves and have a seal on the relevant credentials.
1. Valid credentials
Passport is a credential that a country’s governing organs issue to their citizens for going abroad or residing abroad, which can testify their nationalities and their identification. Passport is usually subcategorized as the diplomatic passport, the service passport and the ordinary passport. Some countries grant the personnel going abroad in groups with group passport, such as traveling group, sports team and literary group. And China issues a kind of traveling passport valid only once to its citizen who leave China for traveling.
A. The diplomatic passport is issued to the advances officials, the congressmen, the diplomatic and consular officials, the personnel who has special diplomatic mission, the government delegates etc. Diplomatic passport holders enjoy diplomatic treatment in foreign countries (like immunity).
B. The service passport is issued to the ordinary government officials, the staff of the embassy resided abroad and of the staff of the consulate and other people who are sent abroad to implement the cultural and economical mission.
C. The ordinary passport is issued to the ordinary people going abroad and the emigrants of foreign countries.
In China, the diplomatic passport and the service passport are issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and the ordinary passport is in the charge of Public Security Bureau.
The passports of PRC are generally valid for 5 years and can be deferred twice with each time of deferment not more than 5 years. Overseas Chinese can put forward deferring application to the Chinese embassy and consulate resided abroad or the foreign organs that are authorized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Visa is a credential that allows people to enter and leave a country or transit across its borders. Visa is the competent authority in a country's own citizens or foreign passport or other travel documents endorsement seal. Overseas Chinese can return to visit relatives or to travel without visas.
Traveling visa is of the ordinary visa type. It is L-visa in China which is issued to the personnel who come to China for traveling, visiting relatives or transacting other personal affairs. The visa has fixed the date of visa-holders could stay.
The traveling group composed of more than 9 persons can apply for group visas. Every group visa has three copies: the granting organ keep one copy and two copies for the traveling group coming to China. One is used for entering and the other is used for leaving the country.
The validity period of the visas varies. The visa holders must enter China within the validity period, for the visa is no longer valid beyond the deadline.
The foreigners who wish to enter China must have valid passports. They are required to offer relevant certification when necessary. For example, the foreign travelers to China are asked to show reception certification issued by the Chinese traveling department when applying for visas. But under special circumstances, like it is so urgent that they have no time to transact procedures in the above organs, they can apply for visa in the authorized visa-granting organ of the port by the Ministry of Public Security.
Visa-granting organs are established in the following ports authorized by the Ministry of Public Security: Beijing, Shanghai, Tianjin, Dalian, Fuzhou, Xiamen, Xi’an, Guilin, Hangzhou, Kunming, Guangzhou (Baiyun Airport), Shenzhen (Luohu and Shekou) and Zhuhai (Gongbei).
The foreigners don’t have to transact visa if they have joint-way tickets of international flights and stay in China not more than 24 hours without walking out of the airports. If they demand to leave the airport provisionally, they must get the approval of the frontier inspection organs.
2. The procedure of the customs
(1) The foreigners cannot enter China or the mainland of China at the appointed ports open to them unless they have valid credentials.
(2) Custom channels
The custom channels are divided into two types: the red channel (also called tax channel) and the green channel (also called free channel).
A. Red channel
The foreign travelers usually enter China by way of the red channel. They must declare first to the custom after filling in the passenger baggage declaration form and can enter after the registration at the customs.
The declaration form loses its validity once being defaced or lost. The transacted procedure of custom should be handed in when leaving China. The declaration form must be filled in according to the facts. And those who declare dishonestly or do not declare at all will be dealt with according to law by customs once identified.
The oversea travelers to China could carry with them some necessary and reasonable quantity of items for the journey. The passengers over 16 years can carry 400 cigarettes and two bottles of wine (with each bottle weighing 750 grams).
B. Green channel
The foreign personnel who have been granted with diplomatic visa-passport or courtesy visa-passport by the Chinese authorities or granted with free-of-examination courtesy can choose the green channel. But they have to show their own credentials to the customs and the declaration document table filled according to the requirements.
1. The document table is fit for the passengers with valid traveling credentials like PRC passports. But the passengers who shuttle between the mainland of China and Hong Kong or Macao are exceptions;
2. The requirements of the customs illustrated in the document table are: the current governing requirements on the baggage brought in by all sorts of passengers;
3. For the passengers under the age of 16 years old, Customs only releases the first items;
4. The commodities exceeding the maximum limit of the items listed in this table should be transacted according to other concerning provisions.
3. The hygiene quarantine for entering China
The foreigners entering China should fill in the health declaration forms truthfully at the request of border quarantine departments. The patients with infectious diseases who do not report and declare would be punished in the way of evading quarantine and are to be prevented from entering once identified. Those who have entered are to be ordered to leave China in advance.
The infectious patients from infected areas are required to produce a valid certificate of immunization-related diseases (Commonly known as the “yellow book”); the Frontier Health and Quarantine infected organs will run a test for 6 days from the day they left the infected environment if they have no valid certificate.
The commodities from the areas that may have been contaminated by infectious diseases or may become the media articles of epidemic diseases are to be subject to health and sanitation inspection and quarantine treatment.
4. Several groups of people are forbidden to enter China
(1) The following people are forbidden to enter China:
A. Those who are deported out of China and who are under the regulated age;
B. Those who are considered as possible terrorists or who are thought to undertake violence and subversive activities after entering;
C. Those who are thought to undertake possible smuggling, drug trafficking and prostitution activities;
D. Those that are mentally ill or have leprosy, AIDS, venereal diseases, open tuberculosis and other infectious diseases;
E. Those who cannot afford what is needed in China;
F. Those that are considered to be engaged possibly in the activities of endangering the security and the interests of our country after entering.
(2) The frontier checkpoint has the right of prevent the following people from entering:
A. The people who have no valid passports, certificates or visas;
B. Those that have forged, defaced or other people’s passports or certificates;
C. Those that refused to be inspected;
D. Those that are forbidden to enter by the Ministry of Public Security and the National Security Ministry.
2 Rights and obligations of the foreign tourists in China
The general principles of the Constitution of the People's Republic of China point out: "PRC protects the lawful rights and interests of foreigners within Chinese territory on the one hand, on the other hand, the foreigners must observe the PRC law within the Chinese territory".
1. In Chinese territory, foreign tourists enjoy the right that lawful rights and interests and personal freedom are not infringed upon, but they must observe the Chinese law. They are forbidden to carry out the activities endangering and injuring the nation safety, damaging cause of the public good, destroying common orders. Person who breaks the law surely will accept Chinese law sanction according to circumstance.
2. Within validity period of visa, foreign tourists may tour freely within Chinese open districts (on March 21, 1994, the Chinese open counties and cities already amounted to 1100), but they must respect folk customs and conventions in the tour areas. If they want to tour in the areas no open to outside, they must apply for a travel certificate to the Public Security Bureau and can be bound for those places after obtaining permission. Foreign tourists are not allowed to enter without permission.
Foreign tourists who apply for travel certificates must fulfill the following procedures:
1. To deliver passports or residence certificates;
2. To provide the certificates relevant to the journey;
3. To fill in the traveling application form.
4.3 To leave China with valid certificates
Foreign tourists ought to leave the country within the time limit of being allowed to stay by visa from allocating port;
Foreign tourists who leave the country must deliver effective passport or other effective certificates to the port border checkpoint.
1. Several kinds of people who are forbidden to leave the borders
(1) The defendants in a criminal case or the criminal suspects identified by the people's procuratorates, or the public security organs, or the court;
(2) Those who are not allowed to leave a country because of unsettled civil cases according to the People's court notice;
(3) Others whose behaviors have violated China's laws and have been identified of the need to pursue by the competent authorities.
2. The border authorities have the right to prevent the following people from leaving China
(1) The people who hold invalid certificates;
(2) Those that have forged, defaced or other people’s passports or certificates;
(3) Those that refused to be inspected.
4 Notice for traveling by air
1. Airline tickets
Traveling by air, passengers are advised to buy air tickets in accordance with the relevant provisions. The passengers are required to produce valid documents and fill out the “Passenger Reservation Shan”when purchasing tickets. Chinese residents, for example, are required to produce their own "identity cards" and foreigners must present their passports or other valid identity documents issued by the public security organs in order to buy tickets. Air tickets are only available for the passengers in the listed names. The tickets shall not be altered or transferred, or the tickets are invalid. Moreover, the ticket fare will not be returned. Domestic and international airline tickets are valid for one year without exception.
The passengers who have bought domestic flight tickets and need to change flight and date or cabin seat must bring forward application 48 hours prior to schedule flight and can only change once.
3. How to return tickets
China's domestic air ticket holders who want a refund are required to pay a certain percentage of their refund fees according to the refund time; international ticket holders are required to refund only at the original purchase location or locations with the agreement of the airlines.
4. Attentions about boarding
The passengers of the domestic flight should arrive at the airport 90 minutes prior to the schedule. The passengers who take an international flight or want to go to the coastal cities must get to the airport 120 minutes before the flight taking off. They should transact boarding procedure with air tickets and personal documents (identity cards, passports, community visas etc.) 30 minutes before the schedule.
Every passenger riding in the domestic, international civil aviation airliner within Chinese territory must pay airport charges (passengers with diplomatic passports, passengers transiting the territory within 24 hours and children under the age of 12 are excluded).
Middle , foreign nationality passenger riding in the civil aviation airliner and their baggage article carrying, allow the person outside especially except classics, must accept safe technology examination before boarding the plain; The passenger must pass the safety-check door , the baggage article must after instrument examination; Examination carrying out person examination and also opening the box. Decline an examiner not allowing boarding the plain.
The passengers of civil aircraft, of Chinese or foreign nationality, and the luggage and goods carried with them, must be subjected to security checks before boarding except those with special permission. Passengers have to pass through the security screening door and their luggage should be subject to baggage inspection equipment. Physical examination and the physical examination can be carried out. Those who refuse inspection were not allowed to board.
Passengers who have adult or children tickets ride in CAAC (the Civil Aviation Administration of China) domestic and international airliner, each of them can turn the operation free of charge: 40 kilograms for first-class cabin ticket, 30 kilograms for official tickets, 20 kilograms for economy passenger ticket. Each passenger on Sino-US and the China-Canada airline may intersect two pieces of baggage for free. The baggage delivered must be encapsulated entirely, locked tightly, tied up solid and be bearable certain pressure. To unqualified baggage of package, civil aviation may repel to deliver or not assume the responsibility of the damage of luggage. The weight of portable commodity should not be more than 5 kilograms and the size should not exceed 20 × 40 × 55 cm.
Passenger are strictly prohibited from carrying firearms, ammunition, the tool or weapons for criminal purposes, explosive, flammable or toxic articles, radioactive substances or other dangerous goods against the safety of Civil Aviation.
5 Notice for traveling by train
1. Types of passenger train
Passenger trains are subdivided into international passenger trains (for instance, Beijing- Moscow international train) and domestic passenger trains.
Domestic passenger trains are divided into: Special Express, called Express, including special through express train (for example, train 13 and 14 from Beijing to Shanghai) and a special local train (within the scope of the operation of a railway board). In China, train-train 98 are special express trains.
The through express trains include local passenger train whose trips are from 105 to 398, among which the local through express trains’ trips are from 301 to 398.
The through passenger trains, also called slow trains, whose train number is 403-446.
In China, there are tourist trains (such as Beijing-Chengde and Nanjing-Hangzhou tourist trains).
The trains are composed of soft and hard sleeper compartments, hard seat compartment and soft seat compartments, dining cars, baggage compartments and mail cars.
Tickets are the riding voucher of the passengers’. There are three kinds of railway tickets within the Chinese territory: passenger tickets (for soft and hard seats), accelerating tickets (for special accelerating trains and ordinary accelerating trains) and sleeper tickets (for soft and hard sleeper).
Passengers must hold the tickets to catch the trains. Those who travel without tickets or with invalid tickets have to pay double fare. If traveling by forged or altered travel tickets, travelers should not only redouble their payments, but also bear criminal liability.
Children of 110-140cm are only required to buy accelerated tickets and air-conditioning tickets at half-price, children over 140 centimeters need to buy full price tickets; children less than 110 centimeters are free of charge. One adult is allowed to carry only one child less than 110cm, and if there are more than one, they have to buy children tickets for the exceeding children.
3. What if losing tickets
When the passengers lose their tickets before catching the trains, they have to buy another one; when they lose their tickets during in the train, they should pay for the ticket from the present stations including admission charges. If it is unable to identify whether the passengers have lost there tickets, the passenger should be treated equally to passengers without tickets.
The weight of the baggage the passengers can carry without charge: adults-20kilograms, children (including the children free of charge)-10 kilograms, diplomats-35 kilograms. The length and volume of the articles should be suitable for readjusting to a certain extent on the baggage rack or under the seat, not to hinder the passengers.
Dangerous goods (such as detonators, explosives, firecrackers, gasoline, kerosene and oil, liquefied petroleum gas, such as explosives, flammable Spontaneous destruction of goods and highly toxic), goods restricted by the states or will jeopardize public health items, animals and goods that will pollute and damage compartment, are not allowed to be brought into the vehicle.
6 Notice for traveling by water
1. Common sense
Chinese waterway traffic is divided into two major categories: coastal shipping and inland river shipping. Overseas tourists traveling in China on the water mostly ride luxurious cruise ships.
And the size and equipment of the passenger ship sailing in the sea or rivers varies greatly. The cabins of the large passenger ships are divided into five classes, such as: first-class cabins (soft seat for 1–2passengers), second-class cabins (soft seat for 2-4 passengers), third-class cabins (hard sleeper, 4-8 passengers), fourth-class (hard sleeper, 8-24 passengers) cabins and fifth-class cabins (hard seat), still including the scattered seat (include a seat). The luxury passenger ships are equipped with deluxe cabins (made up of soft bedrooms, lounges, bathrooms, etc.)
The tickets are divided into general tickets and accelerating tickets and also divided into adult tickets, child (1.1.-1.13m) tickets, and preferential tickets for disabled soldiers. The passengers who lose their tickets before taking the ship should buy tickets separately. When the passengers lose their tickets on the board while being able to bring forward sufficient proof they do not need to buy tickets again. If the passengers fail to provide sufficient proof, the will be treated in accordance with the relevant regulations.
Traveling by coastal and the Yangtze River passenger ships, the passengers with full price tickets can carry 30 kilograms baggage without charge. Half-price ticket holders and children can take 15 kilograms baggage free of charge. The volume of each luggage shall not exceed 0.2 cubic meters, the length should be within 1.5 meters and the weighs should be less than 30 kilograms. In other river ferry ride, passengers can carry 20 kilograms and 10 kilograms baggage respectively.
The following goods can not be brought into the ship: Act-restricted goods of transport, smelly and evil-flavor items, articles that can damage or contaminate the ship, or hinder the passengers, explosives, flammable materials, spontaneous combustion products, corrosive materials, toxic substances, radioactive materials and lethal materials.
7 Notice for post and telecommunication communication
Mails have two categories: letter-post items and parcels. the letter-post items are letters , postcard , aerogramme , print matter , blind person reading material , small packet , adds up to the letter-post item and the insured letter. Wrapped parcels are divided into general and fragile parcels and insured parcels. Mails can be classified according to the processing time into regular mail, express mail and (International) Speed post items.
The following articles are prohibited from mailing: explosive, flammable, corrosive, toxic, acid and radioactive materials and the dangers of narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances. The circulation or delivery of materials restrict by State law
Mail price differs from one another because of the weight and the nature. International letter-post item price: letters no more than 20 grams, 0.6 Yuan; postcards, 1.6 Yuan; presswork no more than 10grams, 0.2 Yuan; blind person reading material, free of charge. The aviation surcharge of the above-mentioned letter-post item is 0.70 Yuan for 10 grams and registration fee 4.50 Yuan per piece.
The charge of the letter-post items sent to Australia, India, Pakistan, Japan and other countries in Southeast Asia is reduced. For example, surface mail below 20 grams and 20 grams is 1.90 Yuan for each piece, postcards 1.30 Yuan, for each piece.
The tariff of letters sent to the regions of Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan. Letters below 20 grams and 20 grams, 0.6 Yuan; postcards, 0.4 Yuan; presswork below 20 grams and 20 grams, 0.3 Yuan; blind person reading material, free of charge. The aviation surcharge of the above-mentioned letter-post item is 0.20 Yuan for 10 grams and registration fee2.20 Yuan per piece.
The following articles are prohibited from mailing:
(1) Explosive, flammable, corrosive, toxic, radioactive and hazardous acidic materials, such as detonators, explosives, fireworks, gasoline, alcohol, kerosene, tung oil, raw lacquer, matches, alkali, such as pesticides
(2) Narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances, such as opium, morphine, heroin and cocaine.
(3) State law prohibits the circulation or delivery of goods such as munitions, weapons.
(4) Perishable goods such as fish, fresh meat, fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, processed produce, dry or canned food has been made, unless (sent to the States except as otherwise provided).
(5) The articles which hinder public health, like bones (not including the ashes which have been reported incinerated), animal skin along with animal bones without being medicated.
(6) Reactionary newspapers and books, promotional materials and indecent or obscene articles.
(7) All live animals (but tight packaging of medicine and health sciences and issuing certifications fixed for the drug or to kill the parasites and insect pests. husband).
(8) Packaging wrong may endanger personal safety, pollution or damage to other items of mail and postal facilities.
8 Forbidden commodities into PRC
(1) Weapons, simulation of weapons, ammunition and explosives;
(2) Counterfeit currency and counterfeit securities;
(3) Publication items harmful to Chinese politics, economy, culture and morality, films, photographs, recordings, films, tapes, video tapes, laser video disks, computer storage media and other items;
(4) Various strong poison;
(5) Opium, morphine, heroin, marijuana and made it possible drug addiction and psychiatric medicine;
(6) With dangerous bacteria, insects and other pests of animals, plants and their products;
(7) The food that impedes the health of human beings and animals, medicine and other items from the infected areas that can spread diseases.
9 Forbidden commodities out of PRC
(1) All range articles listed in forbid entering boundary;
(2) As state secrets, manuscripts, publications, films, photographs, recordings, films, tapes, video tapes, laser video disks. Computer storage media and other items;
(3) Precious cultural relic and other cultural relic that forbid leaving the country;
(4) Endangered and rare animals and plants (including specimens) and the seeds and propagating material
Telephone is a very fast way for communication. The callers usually pay the telephone fee by themselves, but there are some telephones whose fee should be paid by the hearers, that is, the telephones that the callers affirm that the hearers will pay for the telephone fee when registrating. So far, this item of business is only open to the countries and regions that have through circuits in principle. For the convenience of calling, people have developed a magnetism calorie telephone service, that is, the telephone by using a card. The consumers can contact each other in quite a simple way by using a telephone card. Before calling, the callers are supposed to buy a magnetic card of different face value according to their own needs.
If the telephone consumers wish to dial directly domestic or international number, they can consult the following cities’ telephone area codes:
Domestic call: Beijing 010, Guangzhou 020, Shanghai 021, Tianjin 022, Ha’erbin 0451, Xiamen 0592, Shenzhen 0755 etc.
International call: China 86, America and Canada 1, Russia 7, France 33, Britain 44, Germany 49, Australia 61, Japan 81 etc.
The order to make IDD (International Direct Dial) phone call: the area code goes before the consumers’ phone number. For example, if you want to call a consumer in Shanghai whose number is 3217200, you should dial 0213217200 to get it through.
The order to make international direct dialing telephone: first dial the international word crown, then the area code of the countries or the regions and lastly the consumers’ number. For instance, if you want to have a direct connect with the number 42246879 in Paris of France, you can dial 0033142246879. Be aware that the cities’ area codes of some countries (regions) begin with the number 0. Take Paris for example, the area code is 01. When you have an international direct dialing, you only need to dial 1 instead of 01.
The charge for IDD telephone counts by minutes. The basic charge is a minute
11 Other stipulations
(1) Foreigners can travel with a valid passport and (L) visas in these areas which are open to foreigners in China. Up to March, 1996, there have been 1220 cities and counties open to foreigners. Prior approval by the competent authorities are required if foreigners want to travel by their own transport in China. These transports are bikes, motorcars, ships planes, etc.
(2) Foreigners who enter these areas which are not open to them will be punished. They must apply for "Foreigner travel certificate” from Public Security Bureau for Management if they have to enter these areas because of public affairs. Foreigners have to produce their passports and visas, and official letters written by the reception organs, fill out the "foreigners travel request form," before these areas. Foreigner travel certificates and passports are put into use at the same time.
(3) Foreigners with (L) visas are prohibited from being engaged in activities incompatible with their status, such as employment, religious propaganda, and illegal interview. Offenders will be punished. The Chinese government protects the legitimate rights and interests of foreigners in China. Foreigners must abide by Chinese laws, and respect the Chinese customs in China.
(4) Foreigners are allowed to travel in China in the permitted time. They can apply for prolonging their staying time from the public security organs. At the end of their travel, they have to fill out the cards for leaving China within the validity of the visas. They can leave China after being checked by the border authorities at the international ports which are open to foreigners and stamped Certified exit Chapter.
(5) Foreigners, who have lost their passports within the Chinese territory, should report the loss to local public security organs entry-exit branch in time and make statements of the loss. They can apply for leaving certificates from their countries’ embassy with the loss attests provided by public security organs. Then they have to conduct relevant procedures at Management department of immigration, before they can leave China.
(6) Foreigners working in China must first meet the following requirements:
A. At least 18 years old in good health;
B. With corresponding professional skills and work experience which are necessary to do their work;
C. No criminal records;
D. Having fixed jobs;
E. Possession of a valid passport or other traveling document in lieu of a passport (hereinafter referred to the documents in lieu of a passport).
In addition, foreigners working in China should have an occupational visa (those who have agreement of visa dispense are to be treated in accordance with the agreement). They cannot work in the companies of the Chinese territory before they have obtained employment permits for foreigners (hereafter referred to employment permits) after entering China and alien residency certificates. Foreigners who have not obtained alien residency certificates are not allowed to work in China.
The spouses of the following people should work through the approval procedures in accordance with relevant provisions of the relevant formalities of the "PRC Foreign Ministry on the employment of the spouses of the staff in foreign embassies and consulates in China and in the organizations of the United Nations system of organizations": the staff working in foreign embassies and consulates, in the United Nations system, in other international organizations resided in the staff representative bodies of China.