The opening of the Qinghai-Tibet railway is a historical move for Tibet transportation which ended the situation of Tibet being one of the most inaccessible regions in China. Traveling to Lhasa by railway is selected as one of Top 10 Things to Do in China. Now train service linking the Roof of the World to other parts of China. There are currently six train serivices to/from Lhasa which include Beijing-Lhasa, Shanghai-Lhasa, Guangzhou-Lhasa, Lanzhou/xian-Lhasa, Chengdu/Chongqing-Lhasa and Xining/Golmud-Lhasa.
Lhasa Railway Station
1788 kilometers (1111 miles) from Xining Railway Station, Lhasa Railway Station is the terminal station of the Qinghai-Tibet Railway. It is located on the southern bank of the Lhasa River, at an altitude of 3641 meters (11,946 feet). Lhasa Railway Station was put into use on July 1st, 2006. It is the largest railway station on the Qinghai-Tibet Railway, with 7 platforms which are all equipped with shelter from the weather. There are 10 station tracks: 8 arrival and departure tracks and 2 freight tracks.
The main station building measures 340 meters (1115 feet) in length and 60 meters (197 feet) in width, covering an area of 23,600 square meters (254,000 square feet). The main part of the station has 5 floors, with 4 waiting rooms, including ordinary waiting rooms, soft seat waiting rooms, VIP waiting rooms and Tibetan style VIP waiting rooms. One of the soft seat waiting rooms is equipped with an escalator and an infirmary. The square in front of the station is 60,000 square meters (650,000 square feet) in area. Reportedly, to avoid or relieve passengers’ feeling of lack of oxygen and weariness, Lhasa Railway Station try its best to shorten the distance passengers have to cover when they get in and out of the station, and is equipped with elevators.
Lhasa Railway Station uses ample solar energy, free from contamination and protecting the environment in Lhasa
Phone number for ticket booking: 9823-985-059 or 9888-036-007
Address:Liuwu Village, Deqing County, Lhasa City.
Travel to Lhasa by Railway
For most of tourists visiting China, it’s an unmissable experience to take a train to Lhasa of Tibet, as they can appreciate those unparalleled scenery by Qinghai-Tibet Railway with the highest evaluation and the longest route in the world. Throughout a journey, tourists can appreciate yaks by the side of Qinghai Lake, fantastic salt lake crystallization, relatively clear sky, towering snow-capped mountains hidden in the cloud, Qarhan Salt Lake, ice crown, vulture, memoir of the Potala Palace and miracle religious culture.
Hailed as Tibet roof of the world, Qinghai-Tibet Plateau becomes known to the world for its high evaluation, thin air, low oxygen content, strong ultraviolet, snow-covered throughout the year and complex climate. One American traveler once said that there would be no train to Lhasa if Mount Kunlun still exists. However, after four years of hard work, a number of rare troubles have been overcome. In the year 2005, the construction of Qinghai-Tibet Plateau was completely completed. People would like to call it Sky Road as it stretches over the world’s highest plateau.
Qinghai-Tibet Plateau boasts the highest evaluation, the world’s highest plateau permafrost tunnel, namely Fenghuoshan Tunnel, the world’s longest plateau permafrost tunnel, namely Kunlunshan Tunnel, Tanggula train station with the world’s highest evaluation and Lhasa River Bridge which is also the sign of Qinghai-Tibet railway.
1. At present, there are seven routes to Lhasa, including Guangzhou-Lhasa, Shanghai-Lhasa, Beijing-Lhasa, Lanzhou-Lhasa, Xining-Lhasa, Chengdu-Lhasa and Chongqing-Lhasa. Passenger stations include Beijing, Guangzhou, Changsha, Wuchang, Zhengzhou, Taiyuan, Shijiazhuang, Shanghai, Wuxi, Nanjing, Bengfu, Xuzhou, Xi’an, Chengdu, Guangyuan, Baoji, Chongqing, Guang’an, Dazhou, Lanzhou, Xining, Delingha, Golmud, Tuotuohe, Amdo, Nagchu and Damxung. Those trains are mainly air conditioning express train, and through trains include T264(T265),T164(T165),T22(T23),T222(T223),T27,K9802 and K917.
2. For those who don’t feel well owing to altitude stress, you’re highly recommended to wait in the clinic on the second story of the station.
3. There are only ordinary express trains leaving for Beijing, Lanzhou, Xining, Chengdu, Chongqing, Shanghai and Guangzhou from the station
4. Do in Rome as Rome does, and please respect the folk customs of the Tibetans in Lhasa.
A List of Lhasa Railway Ticket Agencies
1. Lhasa Travel Bureau
Location: No. 19, Deji Central Road, Lhasa
Hot line: 0971- 6279186
Office hours: 8: 00 a.m. to 6: 00 p.m.
2. Lhasa Railway Station Ticket Office
Location: No. 19, Delingha Central Road, Lhasa
Hot line: 0971- 6279186
Office hours: 8: 00 a.m. to 5: 00 p.m.