Home > China Fascts > China Travel Guide Book > China Visa > Latest FAQs about China Visa

Latest FAQs about China Visa

Recently, we received lots of emails from customers to enquire about the changes in China Visa situation. We collected some FAQs from Chinese embassy’s websites and several travel forums. The followings are what we reedited.

Q: Can I have a visa-free travel in China?

A: Beijing and Shanghai will offer a 72 hours visa-free travel from Jan 1st, 2013. Visitors from 53 countries who hold third country visas and plane tickets to the third country can enjoy a visa-free travel in China.

For Shanghai travelers, tourists arriving at Hongqiao and Pudong Airports can benefit from this policy. But it is not suitable for transit passengers who arrive at Shanghai by train or ship.

Q: Can I take part in tours of other cities in China?

A: During 72 hours visa-free stay, transit travelers can only travel in Beijing or Shanghai and leave Beijing or Shanghai for third countries. If you want to travel in other cities, you need a travel visa.

See more on China Travel:

The 53 visa-free countries are:

the United States, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Chile, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Russia, United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro, Macedonia, Albania, Monago, Belarus, Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, United Arab Emirates, and Qatar

Related Links

Q: Can I still apply for my China Visa in Hong Kong and Macau?

A: After Hong Kong returned to China in 1997 and Macau returned to China in 1999, many foreigners choose to apply for China Visas in Hong Kong and Macau because it is much easier to apply for China Visas in the two places than in their home countries.

But the situation changed because too many foreigners are applying for China Visas in Hong Kong and Macau during the Olympics. Now, passport holders of 33 countries can not apply for China Visa in Hong Kong and Macau any more. The 33 countries are (listed alphabetically) Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, Congo, Egypt, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Kazakhstan, Kirgizstan, Libya, Malaysia, Mali, Mauritania, Morocco, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey and Uzbekistan.

The people who hold passports of other countries can still apply for China Visas in Hong Kong and Macau but the situation may change at any moment. We suggest our customers enquire Chinese embassies in their home countries before they go to Hong Kong or Macau to apply for China Visas.

Q. Are there any changes in applying for L Visa (Tourists Visa) and F Visa (Business Visa)?

A: L Visa (Tourists Visa) and F Visa (Business Visa) are two most popular categories of China Visas, so many tourists are eager to know policy changes in the two categories of China Visas. We listed the changes as below:

F Visa issued in mainland China can not be renewed in mainland China. But if you get your F Visa in Shenzhen or Zhuhai you can still renew it in mainland China. Other F Visa holders must go to Hong Kong, Macau or their own countries to renew F Visas.

Validity of L Visa and F Visa has been reduced from 90 to 30 days.

F Visa can not be switched to L Visa or Vice Versa.

Q: Which documents do I need to prepare when applying for L Visa or T Visa?

Passport: your passport with a validity of at least 6 months. Besides, there should be a few blank pages on your passport.

Application Form: to apply for a China Visa, you need to complete an application form. You can download the application form on the official website of China embassy in your resident county.

Photo: a photo the same with your passport. You need to glue it on your application form.

Round Trip Air Tickets and Hotel Reservation: the hotel reservation should include your check-in and check-out time and the round trip air tickets should include your arrival and departure time. If you want to live in your friend’s home, you need to provide your friend’s passport number or ID number. If you want to live in your family member’s home you need to provide your family member’s passport number or ID number. Besides, you need to prepare a certificate of kinship.

The four documents are necessary to apply for both L Visa and F Visa. Besides, when applying for an F Visa you need a Visa notification issued by an authorized Chinese unit.

Q. Can I apply for Multiple-Entry Visa now?

A: No new Multiple-Entry Visa will be issued from now on. The existing ones are valid till they expire. Only Single-Entry Visas and Double-Entry Visas are being issued now.

Elben Pan
Always Traveling, Always Writing.

For an authentic travel experience, contact one of our travel advisors. Our local experts are always ready to create a hassle-free tour for you.

 Tailor-made My Trip