Terraced fields play an important role in Chinese agriculture. In order to survive in a difficult environment, people in ancient time wisely built numerous terraced fields on the hills which have been photographers' favorite destinations. Travelers can experience the agricultural wonders and also get marvelous photos which are diversified in different time. Most terraced fields are located in the south of China because of geography conditions.
April to May is the best time to take some excellent photos like mirrors. The rice terraced fields turn to a golden sea in autumn. In addition, the terraced fields are different even in the morning or afternoon. Here China Travel recommends top 10 rice terrace fields for your fantastic photos of Chinese countryside.
Top 9 Terraced Fields in China
Longji Terraced Fields Scenic Area in Guilin
22 kilometers away from Longsheng County and 80 kilometers away from Guilin, Longji Rice Terraced Fields is one of the best places to see some magnificent terrace fields. Built since the Yuan Dynasty, the terraced fields have been one of the most spectacular rice terraced fields in China after a several-hundred development. Yao people and Zhuang people in the area cultivated on the high mountain with an average altitude of 1916 meters.
Dazhai Village is the best time to see a sunrise or sunset in the Long Terraced Fields. It is about a 6 to 7 hours hiking from Ping'an Village to Dazhai Village. Guzhuang Village, Ping'an Zhuang Village and Dazhai Yao Village are the most famous spots in the area. Travelers can visit Guzhuang Village or Ping'an Village to experience unique Zhuang People's life and Yao people's culture in Dazhai Village.
- Address: Heping Ping'an Village, Longsheng County, Guilin, Guangxi
- Ticket: 80 CNY
- How to get there: Travelers can take a regular bus at Qintan Coach Station (31, Cuizhu Road) to Longsheng County and transfer a bus to Longji Terraced Fields. Or Travelers can ask the hotel to book a bus in advance in Guilin Railway Station leaving at 8:00, 8:30, 9:30, 13:00 and 15:00.
Yuanyang Terraced Rice Fields
Listed as a world heritage site in June in 2013, Hani Terraced Fields is located in the south of Ailaoshan Mountain, Yuanyang County, in Yunnan Province. The fields, also known as Yuanyang Terraced Fields, are a masterwork by Hani People. Extending along the Red River (Hong He), it is the largest terrace fields in China. There are about 170,000 acres terrace fields only in the Yuanyang County which is the core area of the fields.
The fields are mainly divided into 3 scenic spots including Bada, Laohuzui (the Mouth of Tiger) and Duoyi Tree areas. All the terraced fields are situated on the hills with a degree from 15 to 75. The highest mountain has about 3000 terraced fields from the bottom to the top. Hani people are mainly lived in the south of Yunnan Province and Hani Terraced Fields is a great place to enjoy their unique life. Travelers can not only view magnificent terraced fields scenery, but also experience Hani people's and Yi people's culture.
- Address: Yuanyang New County (Nansha), Yunnan Province
- Ticket: 100 CNY
- How to get there: Travelers can take a coach in Kunming Coach Station to Yuanyang County.
Yunhe Terraced Fields in Zhejiang Province
Yunhe Terraced Fields is the largest terraced fields in the Central China located in Chongtou Town, Lishui City, Zhejiang Province. Travelers can see a sea of cloud, original villages and bamboo forest, streams, waterfall and rime in the area. Yunhe Terraced Fields is easily reached from Hangzhou and Shanghai. It has a more than 1000-years history since the early of the Tang Dynasty.
The terraced fields scatter in mountains and valleys with an altitude between 200 to 1400 meters. Nowadays, Yunhe Terraced Fields becomes a hot destination to take wedding photos for new couples. Of course, a lot of photography lover head to take some excellent photos of the terraced fields and Chinese countryside life. The fields in four seasons are different scenery which is reputed one of the most beautiful terraced fields in China.
- Address: Chongtou Town, Yunhe County, Lishui City, Zhejiang Province
- Ticket: 70 CNY
- How to get there: Travelers need to arrive at Yunhe County in Lishui City and take a bus to Zhangjiadi which is available in every one hour from 6:30 to 17:00.
Jiabang Terraced Fields in the Southeastern Guizhou Province
In the northeast of Jiangbang Village 80 kilometers away from Congjiang County, Jiabang Terraced Fields is a beautiful natural picture less travelled by visitors. Totally, the terraced fields are about 10,000 acres in the area. April and May are the most beautiful scenery without rice plants like an uncommon natural Chinese painting.
Miao, Zhuang, Dong, Yao, Shui and Han People live in the Jiabang Terraced Fields. Travelers can experience local ethnic minorities' culture and unique festivals. Miao people's New Year and Lusheng Festival, Zhuang people' New Year, Yao people's Medicine Bath and Shui people's Mao Festival are the most famous local festivals which are the best time to experience local unique life and culture. Beautiful Jiabang Terraced Fields appears in the 7th episode of A Bite of China which is a famous documentary describing Chinese food.
- Address: Jiangbang Village, Congjiang County, Guizhou Province
- Ticket: 30 CNY
- How to get there: There are only two coaches to Congjiang County in Guiyang Jinyang Bus Station with a 2 hours journey. If travelers miss the busses to Congjiang, you can take a bus to Kaili and transfer a bus to Congjiang. Then travelers can take a bus to Zhaibian and get off at Dangniu Village from Congjiang.
Jiangling Terraced Fields in Jiangxi Province
A large scale of cole flowers in Wuyuan in spring is a paradise of flowers. It is marvelous natural scenery which attracts numerous travelers from the world. The cole flower fields make Wuyuan the reputation of the most beautiful village in spring. The cole flowers fields are the Jiangling Terraced Fields. It is a representation of Wuyuan's countryside scenery consisting of several villages lying along the river and terraced fields on the hills.
Chen Fuli (a famous Hong Kong Photography) won a Gold Medal of International Photography Competition because Love Will Tear Us Apart which is directed in the Jiangling Terrace Fields. It is deeply loved not only by travelers, but also by some famous directors such as Feng Xiaogang. Travelers should not to miss the cole flowers on the Jiangling Terraced Fields in spring.
- Address: Wuyuan County, Shangrao City, Jiangxi Province
- Ticket: 60 CNY for 14 attractions in Wuyuan
- How to get there: Travelers can get Jingdezhen, Nanchang, Huangshan and Quzhou by air or train and transfer a bus to Wuyuan. The buses from Shangrao to Wuyuan County are available as well.
Ziquejie Terrace Fields in Loudi
As one of the top 8 new famous attractions in Hunan Province in the Middle of China, Ziquejie Terrace Fields is in the west of Xinhua County, Luodi City, Hunan Province. It has been built since the Qin Dynasty (221 BC – 206 BC). With a 2000 years history, it is less known by traveler compared with Longji Terrace Fields and Hani Terrace Fields. The fields spread on the hills with an altitude between 500 to 1000 meters in Shuiche Town.
It still keeps the traditional natural irrigation system which can offers enough water for the plants. You can also enjoy ethnic minorities' life including Miao, Yao, and Dong's life. Travelers will be took their breath away standing in front of the large-scale terraced fields.
- Address: Shuiche Town, Xinhua County, Luodi City, Hunan Province.
- Ticket: 68 CNY
- How to get there: Travelers can take a bus from Xiangyun Bus Station in Xihua to Fengjia Town and get off at Ziquejie.
Gaoyao Terrace Fields
Gaoyao Terraced Fields spread from the bottom to the top of one mountain. It is situated at Gaoyao Miao Village in Danzhai County in Guizhou Province. The magnificent terrace fields are becoming a new popular destination for travelers and experienced photographers. September is the best time to enjoy a gold sea of the fields. In addition, local Miao people celebrate the New Rice Eating Festival during the period. Travelers can get some excellent photos of golden rice terraced fields.
Gaoyao Miao Villages is only 8 kilometers away from Danzhai County and about 80 kilometers away from Kaili (the center of southeast of Guizhou Province) Travelers can stay in a hotel in Gaoyao Miao Villages or Danzhou County. Original Miao people's culture is another highlight of Gaoyao Villages.
- Address: Gaoyao Miao Village, Danzhai County, Guizhou Province
- How to get there: Travelers can reach Guiyang (the provincial capital of Guizhou) and take a coach or train to Kaili. There are coaches to Danzhai leaving in every 15 minutes and transfer to Gaoyao Miao Villages.
Shangbao Terraced Fields in Jiangxi Province
Shangbao Terraced Fields is the largest Hakkas people's terraced fields and one of famous terraced fields destinations in China. It is located in Shangbao Scenic Area in Chongyi County, Ganzhou City, Jiangxi Province. The terraced fields is surrounded Huaxian Peak (the 2rd highest peak in the south of Jiangxi Province). Several Hakkas Villages scatter in the terraced fields, and Nanliu Village is the most famous village among them.
Shangbao Terraced Fields is 50 kilometers away from Chongyi County and around 130 kilometers from Ganzhou City. The highest fields are about 1260 meters. Spring is the best time to visit the Shangbao Village. Late May is the perfect time to take some photos of watered fields without rice plants. There are Hakkas bonfires at night for travelers to experience local culture and life. The snowy terraced fields in winter are a new highlight of Shangbao Terraced Fields.
- Address: Shangbao Scenic Area, Chongyi County, Ganzhou City, Jiangxi Province.
- How to get there: Travelers can take a coach to Chongyi County from Ganzhou South Coach Station and transfer a coach to Shangbao Town.
Youxi Terraced Fields in Fujian Province
Located in Lianhe Village in Youxi, Youxi Terraced Fields is the most beautiful terraced fields in Fujian Province. It is convenient to reach from Fuzhou - the provincial capital of Fujian Province. Youxi County is an ancient county with a long history. The terraced Fields was original built since 741 in the Tang Dynasty and stretch around 1,667 acres. People in the area rely on the terraced fields for generations.
Travelers can see local farmers are toiling in the fields and it is a fantastic picture when the terraced fields are surrounded by fog and smoke. It is a great place to escape from the crowded city. At the same time, Youxi is the birth place of Famous educator Zhu Xi in the Southern Song Dynasty (1127-1279).
- Address: Lianhe Village, Youxi County, Sanming City, Fujian Province
- How to get there: Travelers can take a coach to Lianhe Village from Youxi Bus Station after arriving at Youxi County.
Tailor-make a China Tour for You
Wanna take a trip to these beautiful terraced fields in China? China Travel can tailor-make a China tour for you based on your needs and requirements which can save your time, money, and trouble. Please feel free to tell us your tour ideas! >> Tailor-make Now!