How to Travel between Shanghai and Suzhou
There are several transportation options for traveling between Shanghai and Suzhou which vary by price, speed, and the level of convenience they offer. The distance between these two cities is around 110 km (65 mi); there are five modes of transportation for you to choose from:
- High-speed/bullet train (recommended, fastest)
- A private tour with a travel agency like China Travel(recommended, most convenient)
- Ordinary train
- Long-distance bus
High-Speed Train (Recommended, Fastest)
Taking a high-speed/bullet train is the fastest way to visit Suzhou from Shanghai; it takes around 25–35 minutes one way. This is the most popular way to travel between the two cities.
There are more than 200 high-speed trains running between Shanghai and Suzhou from early in the morning till late at night. Most trains start from Shanghai Hongqiao Railway Station (上海虹桥火车站), and others start from Shanghai Railway Station (上海火车站) and Shanghai South Railway Station (上海南站).
In Suzhou, it is most convenient to take the trains from Suzhou Railway Station (苏州火车站) and Suzhou North Railway Station (苏州北站) because of their central location. Suzhou Railway Station is close to the Classic Gardens and other tourist spots.
- In Shanghai, trains to Suzhou depart between 05:48–22:50. There is a train every 40 minutes, and the journey takes between 23 minutes and 1 hour and 29 minutes, depending on the train.
- In Suzhou, trains to Shanghai depart between 05:30–22:36. There is a train every 70 minutes, and the journey takes between 23 minutes and 1 hour and 23 minutes, depending on the train.
Ticket prices vary from US$4 to US$18, based on the kind of seat you choose.
Read more about how to select and buy train tickets.
Suzhou Railway Station
Traveling with China Travel (Recommended, Most Convenient)
Many travelers like to use public transportation. However, it may be time-consuming to understand the different routes and kinds of seats and to wait in long queues at stations, especially if there are language problems.
Taking a private tour with a guide who speaks your language is the most convenient way to travel between these two cities. You can enjoy a hassle-free trip. Your guide will pick you up from your hotel and take you directly to tourist attractions in Suzhou. You could consider booking one of the following tours directly:
Suzhou Lingering Garden
Every day, more than 50 ordinary trains run from Shanghai Railway Station and Shanghai South Railway Station to Suzhou. Ticket prices vary from US$2 to US$23, based on the different kinds of seats available. An ordinary train is the cheapest way to get to Suzhou from Shanghai.
- In Shanghai, trains to Suzhou depart between 04:14–23:49. There is a train every 4 hours, and the journey takes between 45 minutes and 1 hour and 53 minutes, depending on the train.
- In Suzhou, trains to Shanghai depart between 02:29–21:46. There is a train every 4 hours, and the journey takes between 51 minutes and 2 hours and 16 minutes, depending on the train.
The bus takes between 1½–3 hours. A ticket costs around US$6–US$13, depending on the route. There are several bus stations from where you can catch a ride; the following three have the most buses making daily trips from Shanghai to Suzhou:
- Shanghai South Long-distance Bus Station (上海南站); 1½ hour journey; and buses are available between 6:30–18:00.
- Hongqiao West Long-distance Bus Station(上海虹桥西站) (next to Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport and Hongqiao Railway Station); 1½–2 hour journey; buses are available between 11:00–21:00.
- Shanghai Pudong International Airport (PVG, 浦东机场); 2½–3 hour journey; buses are available between 9:00–21:00.
If you would like to take a bus from Suzhou back to Shanghai, you could choose to depart from one of these two stations: Suzhou South Bus Station (苏州汽车南站), between 10:00–18:00; or Suzhou North Square Bus Station (苏州北广场汽车站), which has two buses between 11:00–12:40.
Suzhou Shantang Street
You can also take a taxi from Shanghai to Suzhou, or vice versa. The flat price is US$75 (CNY 500) one way; you should agree on the price with the driver before getting into the taxi.
- We try to provide accurate transportation information, as far as possible. However, timings and prices are subject to change, depending on day-to-day scheduling.
- You can enjoy a visa-free stay of up to 6 days in Shanghai and Suzhou. Check out the 144-hour visa-free policy to see if you are eligible.
- Although there are many trains between Shanghai and Suzhou every day, it is best to book your tickets at least 3 days ahead of your departure date to ensure availability.