Being a major tourist destination the Zhangjiajie area has plenty of accommodation. The vast majority of the hotels in the area are in one of two locations: Zhangjiajie City, and Wulingyuan.
Zhangjiajie City is much bigger, and has a wide range of hotels of all kinds, Wulingyuan however, is directly adjacent to the park, but it is a much smaller village with fewer hotels.
Stay in Downtown Zhangjiajie
Tianmen Mountain Cableway
Downtown Zhangjiajie has a few benefits when it comes to hotels. Besides having a wide array of accommodation, the downtown area is convenient for travelers. Both the train station and airport are nearby, so visitors who arrive after park closing hours, can conveniently get a hotel in downtown.
The biggest downside to staying in Zhangjiajie, is getting to the forest parks from the city. Fortunately, there is a cable car that goes up to Tianmen Mountain from downtown, and plenty of buses going to the various national parks.
Recommended Hotels in Downtown Zhangjiajie
1. Sunshine Hotel & Resort Zhangjiajie, a 5-star hotel, commends great service, customer reviews, and a surprisingly reasonable price.
- Address: No.2 Yongding Avenue, Yongding District, Zhangjiajie City
- Price: starting at 400 CNY for one night
2. Best Western Grand Hotel Zhangjiajie is a conveniently-located 4-star hotel in the downtown area. It is close to a park and has quiet surroundings.
- Address: north of Dayongqiao Park, Ziwu West Road, Yongding District, Zhangjiajie City
- Price: starting at 210 CNY for one night
Stay in Wulingyuan
Santo Domingo International Hotel
At about 35 kilometers from Zhangjiajie city, Wulingyuan is a small trek to get to. It takes about 40 minutes by car, depending on the traffic, and 40-60 minutes by bus. However, staying in Wulingyuan is worth it, directly adjacent to the beautiful forest parks, visitors can find gorgeous views in quaint, rustic hotels.
The biggest benefit to staying in Wulingyuan is that the parks are right on your doorstep. The biggest downside is that it is far from the city. Visitors landing in Zhangjiajie airport will have to get a bus or a taxi for up to another hour to get to a destination in Wulingyuan.
- There is no direct bus from Zhangjiajie Airport to Wulingyuan and it’s inconvenient to travel around Zhangjiajie by public transportation. We recommend you book a pickup and transfer service to save time and make your trip go smoother.
Recommended Hotels in Wulingyuan
1. Qinghe Jinjiang International Hotel is 5-star provides all the amenities and service one could want, right at the Southeast Gate of Wulingyuan Park Scenic Area.
- Address: No. 1 Jundi Road, Wulingyuan District, Zhangjiajie
- Price: starting at 400 CNY for one night
2. Pullman Zhangjiajie is a 4-star hotel which has fantastic views of the park, while nestled in Wulingyuan.
- Address: No. 188 Gaoyun Road, Wulingyuan District, Zhangjiajie
- Price: starting at 423 CNY for one night
Stay Nearby Zhangjiajie National Forest Park
Zhangjiajie National Forest Park
On the Southwest side of the massive Wulingyuan Scenic Area, is the Zhangjiajie National Forest Park. Wulingyuan actually includes a village, and several other national parks, of which the eponymous Zhangjiajie National Forest Park is one.
It is a bit more difficult to get to, but visitors who make the decision to stay in this area will be rewarded. The area around Zhangjiajie National Forest Park is less popular, so there are fewer crowds, particularly during the low seasons. Visitors with a particular nearby destination in mind, or who wish to be a bit further from hordes or tourists will like to stay around here.
Can I stay inside the park?
No. There is no hotel within the park and it is not allowed to stay overnight inside the park, to protect the environment. No campsites permitted, either.
Recommended Hotel Near the Park
Homeward Mountain Hotel is a 4-star hotel right at the edge of the park. Travelers will get a fantastic view, and a good location from which to start their expedition in Zhangjiajie.
- Location: Next to the Yangjiajie Ticket Office, western edge of the park, Wulingyuan District
- Price: starting at 737 CNY for one night
Choose the Best Place to Stay for Your Itinerary
Visitors coming to Zhangjiajie, especially if it their first time in China from abroad, will certainly have a lot of questions: Should I be changing hotels to meet my itinerary’s needs? Which hotels are the best to stay in according to my schedule in Zhangjiajie?
Let us try to help you answer your questions as well as we can.
Will I need to change hotels every day in Zhangjiajie?
Most likely not. The main parks in the area are all in the Wulingyuan Scenic Area. Within that area are Tianzi Mountain, Avatar Mountain, Yangjiajie, Zhangjiajie National Forest Park, Suoxi Valley, and dozens of other sites and attractions. For the vast majority of travelers, a central hotel in Wulingyuan should be a convenient and centrally located base for most of the sightseeing trip.
There are a few cases in which you may want to change hotels during your stay:
1) You arrive in Zhangjiajie city very late. If you arrive after the park has closed, it may just be easier to stay in the city for the night. In the morning you can check out, go to your hotel closer to the park, and then start your adventure.
2) Your trip includes parts of the park that are outside Wulingyuan. If you plan on going to the Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon Glass Bridge, Tianmen Mountain, or getting off the beaten path and exploring the surrounding countryside on your own, changing hotels might be a necessity.
3) If you must leave Zhangjiajie on an early train or flight, it is a good idea to get a Zhangjiajie city hotel to ensure you have enough time to get to the airport/train station.
How many days should I stay in Zhangjiajie?
Well, that really depends on you. How many days do you have? What do you want to see?
The standard Wulingyuan Scenic Area Ticket covers four days. Four days should be plenty for most people to really get a feel for the park. There is also a seven-day ticket option, for the most avid photographers, hikers, and explorers.
Tips for Staying in Zhangjiajie
A Hotel Room in Wulingyuan
Zhangjiajie is a small town by Chinese standards. This means that the hotels will have small town standards as well. Don’t expect the level of professionalism and service you might receive in Beijing, Shanghai, or internationally. A hotel might have one or two English-speaking staff members if it is 4-star or higher.
Shuttle Buses Between Hotels and Airports
The 5-star hotels should offer shuttle buses to and from Airports, but be aware this is not always the case, especially if the hotel is outside the city. However, any hotel can help you get transportation to the airport.
Airport to Wulingyuan Taxi
A taxi ride straight from the airport to Wulingyuan should cost you anywhere from around 100-150 CNY. This depends on time of day (taxis cost more at night), and traffic. Usually the 25 kilometer ride takes 30-40 minutes.
Getting from the Airport/Train Station to Wulingyuan
From either the train station or airport, the best way to get to Wulingyuan is to take a bus. Head to the Zhangjiajie City Center Bus Station, and there are many buses that leave all day for Wulingyuan and the national parks. They cost between 12-15 CNY, and take about 40 minutes to an hour. The bus station is within walking distance of the train station.
Tour Zhangjiajie with Us
We offer out-of-ordinary Zhangjiajie Tours. They are private: with no fixed itineraries, no big bus, no group. They are all-inclusive: including English-speaking tour guides, private driver, flexible tours, local dining, hotels and tickets.
Please feel free to create your Zhangjiajie trip with us. Or have a look at our newly designed sample tour packages in Zhangjiajie to get inspired: