China X Visa (Study/Student Visa)

Written by Sally Guo Updated May. 31, 2023

China X Visa, also known as the Study Visa or Student Visa, is issued to individuals who come to China for long-term or short-term study and internships.

Based on the intended length of stay, the X Visa is categorized into X1 Visa (for stays exceeding 180 days) and X2 Visa (for stays of 180 days or less).

Documents Required for a China Study Visa (X Visa)

1. A Valid Passport

Original signed passport with at least six months validity and blank visa pages, and a copy of the passport's data page and the photo page if it is separate.

2. A Completed Visa Application Form

The China visa application form can be downloaded from the China embassy website of your country or our website. You need to complete it by computer, print and sign it. 

3. A Recent Passport-Style Photograph

You need to prepare a recently-taken color photo (bare-head, full face) against a light background of the size of 48mm×33mm.

4. Proof of Legal Entry or Residence Status (applicable to applicants who apply for visas outside their country of nationality)

If you are not applying for the China visa in the country of your citizenship, you need to provide proof of legal stay, residence, work, or study in your current location, as well as a copy of the document.

5. Original Chinese Passport or China Visa (applicable to former Chinese citizens who have acquired foreign nationality)

If you are applying for a China visa for the first time, you need to provide the original Chinese passport and a copy of the passport's personal information page.

If you have obtained a China visa before and are now applying with a new foreign passport, you need to provide a copy of the foreign passport's personal information page and the previously obtained China visa (if the name on the new passport is different from that on the original passport, you also need to provide an official document proving the name change).

6. Additional Supporting Documents for an X Visa

In addition to the general documents mentioned above, applicants for the X Visa are required to provide the original and photocopy of the admission notice.

Applicants for the X1 Visa are also required to provide the original and photocopy of the Visa Application for Study in China Form for foreign students.

You Might Want to Read

Create My Trip

Need Help?

Request a custom itinerary today and get one step closer to your personalized trip

Create Your Trip