Dujiangyan Giant Panda Base, Sichuan
Dujiangyan Panda Base in Sichuan is also known as China Conservation and Research Centre Dujiangyan Base. It focuses on re-introducing pandas to the wild, and disease control. It is a great place to has the Giant Panda volunteer programs.
Dujiangyan Panda Base is located 55 kilometers northwest of Chengdu, in Qingchengshan Town, about one hour’s car drive.
The base covers an area of 1.4 square kilometers and enjoys pleasant natural environments of bamboo forests. There are about 20 giant pandas in the base,
Simple Facts on Dujiangyan Giant Panda Base
- Location: Shiqiao Village ( Stone Bridge Village), Qingchengshan Town, 55 kilometers from Chengdu.
- Area: 1.4 Square Kilometers
- Opening hours: 08:00–17:00
- Number of pandas: about 20
- Best Activities: Panda volunteer program
Giant Panda Base Volunteer Program
Dujiangyan panda base offers a special day program that allows visitors to get close to pandas as volunteers. During the day, you will learn more about how to feed a panda, how to make pandas’ snacks, and how to clean their enclosures.
Activities are flexible, and the program can be redesigned according to the pandas' needs, participants' requirements and interests, and other factors. During the day, you will learn more about how to feed a panda, how to make pandas’ snacks, and how to clean their enclosures.
Schedule for Being a Panda Keeper for a Day
|The panda keeper will inform volunteers of a list of dos and don'ts for when working at the base. Volunteers need to sign the security agreement and put on work suits before starting work.
|Clean out the panda excrement and tidy up its house, in one of the enclosures. Carry in fresh bamboo and slice the bamboo into short pieces.
|Walk around other panda enclosures and visit some pandas.
|Feed the pandas with food such as panda cake, carrots, and bamboo shoots.
|Take a break and have lunch at the canteen with staff.
|Watch a panda documentary and learn more scientific facts about pandas.
|Continue cleaning the panda house, make some pandan cake and feed the pandas again.
|Plant some bamboo and receive a panda volunteer certificate and souvenirs.
How to Become a Giant Panda Volunteer
- You must have a COVID-19 test and a blood test in the 7 days.
- Volunteers should be aged between 10 and 65. If you bring your kids with you, your guide will help take care of them and they can still walk around and see pandas at the base.
- While most pandas are normally docile, volunteers should avoid using strong perfume or mosquito repellent liquid, which may excite pandas.
See more about the 1-Day Dujiangyan Panda Keeper Program.
Can I Hold a Panda at Dujiangyan Panda Base?
No, Currently visitors can’t hold a panda in Dujiangyan Panda Base. If the policy changes in the future, we will tell the newest information on our site at the first time.
How to Get to Dujiangyan Panda Base from Chengdu
The best way is of course to book a private tour with a guide and car to take you from your hotel to the base. Other options are taking the high-speed train and taking a taxi.
Take a High-speed Train
High-speed trains from Chengdu to Qingchengshan take about half an hour. Then take a taxi from the train station to the panda base.
Take a Taxi
Traveling by taxi from Chengdu center to Dujiangyan takes around one hour.
The Best Places to Stay in Dujiangyan
There are no hotels inside the base, but there are many hotels in Dujiangyan City. The best options are:
- 3-star: Dujiangyan Joy Holiday Hotel (Dujiangyan Xiyue Jiari Jiudian 都江堰喜悦假日酒店)
- 4-star: Minjiang Xinhao Hotel (岷江新濠酒店)
- 5-star: Qingcheng Howard-Johnson Hotel (Qingcheng Hao-Sheng Jiudian 青城豪生酒店)
Chengdu Giant Panda Base vs Dujiangyan Panda Base
Chengdu Giant Panda Breeding and Research Center is the best place to see pandas of all ages especially baby pandas. Dujiangyan Panda Base is the best place to take the panda volunteer program.
|Chengdu Giant Panda Breeding and Research Base
|Dujiangyan Panda Base
|Number of pandas
|See baby pandas
|Volunteer panda keeper
|Quiet with fewer visitors
Read more details on Chengdu Giant Panda Breeding Base
- Mt. Qingcheng — a World Heritage; this famous Taoist mountain featured in Kungfu Panda 2
- Dujiangyan Irrigation Project - an ancient wonder that transformed the region 2,000 years ago
You can create your own unique tour by telling us your interests and requirements. We will help you design the perfect trip. Alternatively, you can simply book a Panda Tour with us. All itineraries can be customized.
Back to Chinese Giant Panda