Chengdu Giant Panda Breeding and Research Center
Chengdu Giant Panda Breeding and Research Center is the best place to see pandas and hug a panda in China. The center is specializing in breeding and researching giant pandas and other rare animals. It is the only place in China you can see baby pandas.
- Location: About 10 km (6 mi) from downtown Chengdu
- Number of pandas: about 50
- The time needed: half a day
- Highlights: Infant pandas, baby pandas, pandas eating bamboo and climbing trees.
- Best time to visit: in the morning when the pandas are most active.
Top Things to Do/ Highlights You Mustn’t Miss
The panda base is big, which you need half a day to visit. Find below the highlights you shouldn't miss:
1. See pandas of all ages
There are about 50 pandas in the center. You will see lovely furry pandas of all ages eating bamboo, climbing trees, and playing with each other. Remember to arrive early in the morning before 10:30 am to catch the panda’s feeding time. The pandas are most active in the morning, so you are advised to visit the panda center in the morning or at least before 2 pm.
2. See baby pandas
It is not all the time that you can see baby pandas. Pandas usually give birth in August, so visitors can see newborn pandas or panda babies in August and September. If you are particularly fond of the pink or fluffy panda babies, try to visit in these two months.
3. Visit the Giant Panda Museum
The Giant Panda Museum is a good place to learn more about the Giant panda. The museum educates people about the giant panda’s habitat, protection, evolution history, breeding, and distribution in the wild.
There are also fossils of other rare animals and birds displayed in the museum.
4. See Other Rare Animals
There are also many other rare animals you can see in the panda base such as red pandas, black-necked cranes, and swans.
5. Send a Postcard from the Panda Post
There is a post office inside the panda breeding center, where you can send a postcard to your friends or family. The postcard is stamped with a lovely panda mark.
The Best Time to See Pandas - on a Cool Morning
The best time to visit is in the morning when the pandas are most active playing or eating outside, especially during the feeding time from 8:00 – 10:30 am. Usually, after pandas finish their meal, they will sleep for a couple of hours.
With their heavy fur, pandas prefer cool days over higher temperatures. If you come when the temperature is above 26 degrees, you may find them lying in their air-conditioned valley.
Chengdu Panda Center or Dujiangyan Giant Panda Base?
There are three panda bases around Chengdu: Chengdu Panda Base, Dujiangyan Panda Base, and Wolong Panda Base.
If you want to only see pandas, the Chengdu Panda Center is the best choice for you. If you want to do the volunteer program, then go to Dujiangyan Giant Panda Base or Wolong Panda Base.
Useful Tips for Visiting the Giant Panda
1. Arrive early to avoid the crowds. The panda base opens at 7:30 am.
2. The panda base is a popular attraction so it is very crowded during major Chinese holidays: summer holiday (July and August), May Day holiday (May 1st-3rd), and National Day holiday (Oct. 1st-7th). If you travel during these periods, try to book your tour as early as possible, and get there as early as possible.
3. As the center is huge, a private tour is needed to save your time and maximize your travel experience.
See Chengdu Pandas with China Travel
The base is huge and often crowded. A private tour is needed to save your time and see most pandas. Your guide will help you avoid the crowds and find the best travel routes. See our best panda itineraries:
- 5-Day Dujiangyan Panda Volunteer Tour
- 4-Day Panda Keeper Program and Chengdu Highlights Tour
- 3-Day Chengdu Family Holiday
Back to Chinese Giant Panda