How to Travel from Zhangjiajie to Fenghuang
Fenghuang Ancient Town is about 230 kilometers (or 143 miles) from Zhangjiajie. We recommend traveling by private car because it takes under 3.5 hours and is the most convenient way. Taking a direct bus is the second-best option since there are no direct trains to Fenghuang.
Zhangjiajie to Fenghuang by Bus
For independent travelers, the best way to travel from Zhangjiajie to Fenghuang is by taking a direct bus. There are several buses to Fenghuang every day, respectively leaving from Zhangjiajie downtown and Wulingyuan, where Zhangjiajie National Forest Park is located.
The coach trip takes about 4 hours. It is recommended to catch an early bus to ensure you’re on time – because sometimes delays may occur along the bus route during the day.
Bus from Zhangjiajie Downtown
- Pickup Point: Zhangjiajie Center Bus Station (张家界中心汽车站)
- Departure Time: 08:30, 9:30, 12:30, 14:30, 15:30, 17:20
- Bus Ticket: 80 RMB per person
Bus from Wulingyuan
- Pickup Point: Wulingyuan Bus Station (武陵源汽车站)
- Departure Time: 08:30, 14:30
- Bus Ticket: 80-100 RMB per person
The bus arrives at Fenghuang Bus Station (凤凰客运总站), 3 km from Fenghuang Ancient Town. You can take a taxi from there directly to the town, which costs about 10 RMB. Or, catch Bus Nos. 1 or 3 at a price of 1 RMB and get off at Huananmen, and then walk to the ancient town.
Zhangjiajie to Fenghuang by Train
There is no direct train from Zhangjiajie to Fenghuang. We do not recommend traveling by train because of the transfer hassle. You’ll need to take a train to Jishou first and then get a bus transfer from there to Fenghuang.
|Zhangjiajie to Fenghuang via Jishou
|Zhangjiajie to Jishou
|Zhangjiajie Railway Station
|Jishou Railway Station
|Under 2 hours
|11 departures from 03:29 to 19:11
|Jishou to Fenghuang
|Jishou North Bus Station
|Fenghuang Bus Station
|About 1 hour
|Depart every 30 minutes during 7 am - 7 pm daily
- Click China Train Ticket Service to check the real-time schedule and book your train tickets in advance depending on your itineraries.
Zhangjiajie to Fenghuang by Private Car
As seen above, you can’t directly get to Fenghuang Ancient Town from Zhangjiajie by any public transportation, bus, or train. We recommend hiring a private car because it can take you from Zhangjiajie directly to Fenghuang Ancient Town, or your hotel in Fenghuang.
Fenghuang Ancient Town
We provide Zhangjiajie and Fenghuang tour packages, which include private car service with an experienced driver and a private local guide. That means you will do nothing but enjoy your trip! Please feel free to contact us to arrange your private car!
- Note: If you can find a taxi willing to take you to Fenghuang from Zhangjiajie, the fare might be extremely high – 1000 RMB (141 dollars) for one way!
Fenghuang to Zhangjiajie Bus
You can find direct buses from Fenghuang Bus Station to Zhangjiajie downtown or the Wulingyuan area.
Can I take a bus from Fenghuang straight to Zhangjiajie Airport?
No public bus goes directly from Fenghuang to Zhangjiajie Airport. You can take a bus from Fenghuang to Zhangjiajie Center Bus Station first and then get a taxi transfer to the airport. Or directly travel by private car.
Travel Zhangjiajie and Fenghuang with Us
Stretching your Zhangjiajie natural landscape tour to Fenghuang will give you a great opportunity to deeply experience Hunan’s unique minority culture. Our travel experts are ready to help you create a memorable private tour according to your needs.
Maybe you can get some travel ideas from our newly- designed Changsha, Zhangjiajie, and Fenghuang Discovery Tour:
- Learn about the Chinese ancient and modern education system at Changsha Yuelu Academy;
- Visit the natural stalactite and limestone formations in Yellow Dragon Cave;
- Hike in the Zhangjiajie National Forest Park;
- Stay the night at the beautiful Fenghuang Ancient Town…