How to Travel from Hong Kong to Macau in 2023/2024
If you are traveling from Hong Kong, there is no need to provide any proof of COVID-19 testing.
Quarantine and PCR test results are not required anymore.
Macau, about 62 kilometers distance from Hong Kong, is unique for you to experience the vibrant casino, historical heritage, and fusion cuisine. Many people travel from Hong Kong to Macau, which is convenient and popular.
This article gives you five ways to get to Macau from Hong Kong: ferry, HZM bus, cross-boundary coach, helicopter, and car. We suggest you take the ferry to Macau, which is the most convenient.
- By ferry (most recommended): It takes about 1 hour from the Hong Kong ferry terminal to Macau, including the route directly from Hong Kong airport to Macau. The fare is around US$22 - US$27 for economy class.
- HZM bus (newest): Take the bus over the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge from Hong Kong Port to Macau Port in around 45 mins. The one-way ticket is about US$6 - US$8.
- By cross-boundary coach (lots of pick-up points): It needs around 2 hours to Macau downtown from Hong Kong downtown. The one-way ticket is around US$21 - US$23.
- By helicopter (coolest but most expensive): It takes 15 mins to take a helicopter from Hong Kong to Macau, however, the price is about US$550-US$620.
- By car (most flexible): It needs about 1 hour by private car, which is the most hassle-free way to travel from Hong Kong airport to Macau.
Hong Kong to Macau by Ferry
- From - to: Hong Kong - Macau Ferry Terminal/Hong Kong China Ferry Terminal/Hong Kong Sky Pier - Macau Outer Harbour Ferry Terminal/Macau Taipa Ferry Terminal
- Duration: about 1 hour
- Price: around US$22 - US$27 for an economy class seat
- Luggage Allowance: Each passenger is allowed 1 piece of hand-carry luggage up to a maximum of 20kgs.
- How to book: You can buy your tickets at Ferry Terminals or online with China Trave directly
Taking a ferry is the most popular way to travel from Hong Kong to Macau, sailing from 07:30 to 22:30 every day. Daytime economy fare is US$22 on weekdays and US$24 on weekends and public holidays while night-sailing costs around US$27.
Currently, there are 3 ferry terminals in Hong Kong for you to board a ferry to Macau. Hong Kong - Macau Ferry Terminal is the most used.
Hong Kong to Macau Ferry Sailing Schedule
|Hong Kong - Macau Ferry Terminal||Taipa Ferry Terminal||07:30 09:30 10:30 12:30 13:30 14:00 15:30 16:00 17:00
Night Sailings: 19:00 20:30 22:30
|Outer Harbour Ferry Terminal||08:00 09:00 11:00 11:30 12:30 14:30 15:00 15:30
Night Sailings: 17:30 18:30 20:30 22:30
|China Ferry Terminal||Outer Harbour Ferry Terminal||07:30 09:00 10:30 12:00 14:00 14:30 15:30 17:00
Night Sailings: 18:30
|Taipa Ferry Terminal||09:30 11:30|
|Sky Pier||Taipa Ferry Terminal||12:45
Available on every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday
Hong Kong to Macau Ferry Terminals
Hong Kong has 3 ferry terminals sailing to 2 terminals in Macau, which is better for you? How to get there? Check the detailed information of address, and transportation to find your answer.
Hong Kong Ferry Terminals1. Hong Kong - Macau Ferry Terminal(most recommended)
Address: Deck3, Shun Tak Centre, 200 Connaught Road Central, Sheung Wan, Hong
Hong Kong China Ferry Terminal in Sheung Wan has ferries sailing between Hong Kong and Macau from 07:30 to 22:30 every day.
This terminal is a public transport hub with MTR Shueng Wan Station, several bus terminus, and minibus and taxi pick-up area at Shun Tak Centre.2. China Ferry Terminal(recommended, good location)
Address: Deck2, 33 Canton Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong.
China Ferry Terminal provides fewer ferries to Macau, sailing from 07:30 to 18:30 daily. It is located in downtown Hong Kong, next to the Harbour City Mall.
You could walk to it in a few mins from the Star Ferry Terminal, the MTR Tsim Sha Tsui Station and Austin Station. It's also easy for you to get there via bus or taxi.3. Sky Pier (for transiting tourists only)
Address: Hong Kong International Airport, Tung Chung, Lantau, Hong Kong.
Sky Pier in the Hong Kong airport only services transfer passengers who go to Macao within the same day of arrival. Now, only one trip is available sailing to Taipa Ferry Terminal every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday, which departs Skypier at 12:45.
You should go to HKIA Terminal 1 first. Then go to the ferry ticketing counter at Transfer Area E2 to get your ferry ticket, and present your baggage tag receipt, your valid passport, and if applicable, a visa.
Board the airport shuttle train to Hong Kong Skypier Ferry Terminal. Go through immigration, and retrieve your luggage from customs.
Macau Ferry Terminals1. Outer Harbour Ferry Terminal(close to historical sites)
Address: Largo do Terminal Martimo, Macao
Outer Harbour Ferry Terminal, also known as the Macau Maritime Ferry Terminal, is the main ferry terminal in Macau.
There are plenty of taxis and buses going downtown in a few minutes like Bus No.3. Most of the hotels in Macao provide free shuttle bus service from/to this terminal. If you plan a tour of the historical sites, choose this terminal.2. Taipa Ferry Terminal(close to Casinos and the airport)
Address: Estrada de Pac On, Macao
Taipa Ferry Terminal is closer to the biggest casino-the Venetian Macao and the Macau International Airport. Free shuttle buses to hotels and gaming venues are accessible. If you come for casino, shopping, or catch a flight, this terminal is good for you.
- The information is for reference only. For more details, please feel free to contact our professional travel advisors.
- Tuen Mun Ferry Pier is not available to take to Macao now.
Hong Kong to Macau by Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge Shuttle Bus
- From - to: HKZMB Hong Kong Port - HKZMB Macau Port
- Duration: 45 mins
- Price: US$6 for a nighttime ticket- US$8 for a daytime ticket
- Luggage Allowance: Each passenger is allowed to take on board one piece of luggage (the dimensions not exceed 76 cm x 51 cm x 32 cm and weigh no more than 20 kg).
- How to book: Directly at the Shuttle bus ticket counter, online via wechat account "hzmbus" or the official website https://www.hzmbus.com/
Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge, with a distance of around 55 kilometers, was open to the public on Oct. 24, 2018. You could take a bus over the bridge from Hong Kong to Macau.
The Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge Shuttle Bus, also known as Gold Bus, operates 24/7. The buses are available around every 15 mins from 07:00 to 00:00 of daytime and every 1h from 00:30 - 06:30 of nighttime. During peak hours, service is even available every 5 to 10 mins.
How to Get to Hong Kong Port
Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge Hong Kong Port bus terminal borders Hong Kong International Airport to the east. Except for taxis and private cars, you can choose public transportation to the HK port.
If you come from the HK Airport, just take Bus B4 to HK Port Terminal directly.
If you come from HK downtown, you can take Bus A17/A23 to the port directly, or take the option of MTR + bus:
- 1. To take MTR to Tung Chung Station first, and change to Bus B5 to the port.
- 2. To take MTR to Sunny Bay Station+ Bus B6.
How to Leave Macau Port
After arriving at Macau Port, you could go to your place by taxi or bus No. 101X to Macao downtown or bus No.102X to Taipa.
Hong Kong to Macau by Cross-Boundary Coach/Express Bus
- From - to: Hong Kong Bus pick-up point - Macau drop-off point
- Duration: 2 hrs (depending on road traffic and where you choose to set off from)
- Price: US$21 - US$23
- Luggage Allowance: Each traveler is allowed to carry only one piece of luggage. The dimension should not exceed 56cm x 36cm x 22cm.
- How to book: You can purchase tickets on-site
Taking the express bus is a bus option from Hong Kong downtown to Macau downtown. Many coaches are operated daily, with numerous locations in Kowloon and the New Territories, such as Jordan, Prince Edward, etc.
They are available around every 1h from 08:00 to 18:00. The price of a ticket is US$21 before 17:59 and US$23 after 17:59 and during the weekend and public holidays.
You should select your pick-up and drop-off point first. The journey takes around 2 hours. Drive through Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge, and drop you at Sands Macao, Venetian Macao, Parisian Macao, etc. During the trip, you should bring all your luggage and personal belongings through customs clearance.
Hong Kong to Macau by Helicopter
- From - to: Hong Kong-Macau Ferry Terminal - Macau Heliport
- Duration: 15 mins
- Price: about US$550-US$620
- Luggage Allowance: Every passager has one free in-cabin hand-carried luggage allowance of up to 5 kgs, one free check-in luggage allowance of up to 7 kgs
- How to book: To book at Hong Kong-Macau Ferry Terminal or book online with China Travel
This is the fastest and most unique way to travel from Hong Kong to Macau, and also the most expensive one. The helicopter tour offers stunning views of the Hong Kong skyline, Victoria Harbour, and the Macau Peninsula.
The helicopter departs from the Hong Kong-Macau Ferry Terminal in Sheung Wan and arrives at the Macau Heliport nearby to Outer Harbour Macau Ferry Terminal.
It operates from 10:30 - 22:59 daily, around every 30 mins, maximum of 12 passengers in a cabin. You can book your sky shuttle heliport as early as 45 days in advance.
- 1. You need to arrive at the check-in counter located in the heliport passenger lounge at least 20 minutes before your flight departs
- 2. It can be canceled due to bad weather.
Hong Kong to Macau by Private Car
- From - to: Anywhere you want
- Duration: about 1 hour
- Price: about US$264-290 for a 7-seat van changing van at the Macau border from HK airport to a hotel in Macau/
about US$350 for a 7-seat van direct from HK airport to a hotel in Macau
- Luggage Allowance: Up to you
- How to book: Contact China Travel to get your easy Hong Kong and Macau tour and transfer service
You can also travel from Hong Kong to Macau by private car via Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge. This option is more expensive than taking the ferry and bus, but it's highly recommended if you want to have a worry-free tour.
Whether you come from Hong Kong International Airport or other places in HK to anywhere in Macau, the private transfer service saves you the trouble of carrying your luggage up and down at the ports several times, finding connecting transportation on your own, etc.
Hong Kong to Macau Visa
Do you need a visa for Macau? It depends on your nationality. 79 countries are exempted from a visa or entry permit to Macau, including the US, Canada, Australia, India, Philippines, Malaysia, and most of the countries in Europe. The duration ranges from 14 to 180 days.
Visitors from Bangladesh, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and Vietnam are required to prepare a visa before arriving in Macau. The rest can apply for an entry permit at any border checkpoint upon arrival in Macau.
For more information, check the Macau SAR Visa
Visit Macau from Hong Kong with China Travel
Whether you're into gambling or food or culture, Macau must be the place for you to experience, where you can easily do it on a day trip from Hong Kong.
You can travel to Macau in the morning and return to HK in the afternoon or evening. Both private tours and seat-in-coach group tours are available.