Like Hong Kong, Macau is also a Special Administrative Region (SAR) of China and has its own visa policy and requirements. Nationals of 79 countries are exempted from a visa or entry permit to Macau for a certain period of time. Visitors from 6 countries are required to prepare a visa before arriving in Macau. The rest can apply for an entry permit at any border checkpoints upon arrival at Macau.
Passport holders of the following countries are allowed to enter Macau without a visa
|Countries/Regions||Maximum Limit of Visa-Free Stay|
|Australia, Canada, Chile, India, Indonesia, Kiribati, Malaysia, Monaco, Namibia, Philippines, Samoa, Seychelles, Singapore, South Africa, Thailand, Turkey, U.S.A.||30 days|
|Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cape Verde, Croatia, Czech, Denmark, Dominica, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Grenada, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kingdom of Morocco, Korea (Republic of), Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Mali, Malta, Mauritius, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Republic of Armenia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tanzania, Uruguay||90 days|
|Cyprus, Israel, Lebanon, New Zealand||3 months|
|The U.K.||6 months|
Remarks: Holders of a Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card or a Re-entry Permit can stay in Macau without a visa for up to 1 year.
48-Hour Visa-Free Transit in Macau
Passengers who arrive at Macau International Airport for transit to other destinations (including mainland China) within 48 hours can enter and stay in Macau without a visa or entry permit within this period.
Which countries need a visa for Macau?
Visa Upon Arrival
Visitors who are not exempted from a visa or entry permit can apply for a visa upon arrival at the “Visa Room” of the border checkpoint when arriving in Macau. There is a maximum of 30 days' stay once the application is approved. Below are the fees for a Macau Port Visa:
|Family Passport||MOP 200|
|Children under the age of 12||MOP 50|
|Groups comprised of at least 10 people organized by a single travel manager and presenting a collective travel document||MOP 50 per head|
|1 USD ≈ 8 MOP (Macau Pataca, Macau's currency)|
Starting from 1 July 2010, nationals of Bangladesh, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and Vietnam are required to apply for a valid Macau visa in advance through a Chinese embassy or consulate instead of applying for a visa upon arrival.
Macau SAR Visa Application
Submission of the Application
- Visa application service provider: Embassy and consulate of the People’s Republic of China
- Other entity/agency: Residence and Stay Affairs Department in Macau
1. A completed Macau Visa Application Form
2. Copy of the bio page of a valid passport/travel document
3. Document of financial status (e.g. bank statement)
4. Document of transportation to Macau and accommodation arrangement (e.g. round-trip air ticket and hotel room reservation)
5. Recent 1.5-inch full-face white background color passport photo
6. Relevant proof according to your purpose to Macau (e.g. visit- tour itinerary for visit, study- admission document of a higher institute in Macau, work- employment approval document of Macau authorities, etc.)
1. Application fee: USD 30
2. Additional charges:
- Communication fee for the Macao Residence and Stay Affairs Department: USD 20
- Express: USD 20
- Extra express: USD 30
- Normal: 5 working days (applications that do not have to be related to the Macao Residence and Stay Affairs Department); Approximately 3 weeks (applications that have to be related to the Macao Residence and Stay Affairs Department)
- Express: 3 working days (only applications that do not have to be related to the Macao Residence and Stay Affairs Department)
- Extra express: Same day or next working day (only applications that do not have to be related to the Macao Residence and Stay Affairs Department)
[Note: Processing time starts after all necessary documents are properly submitted.]
Macau Immigration Contact Details
- Tel: (853) 2872 5488
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that all the above information is for reference only. For any further queries about Macau Visa, please see its official website:
Travel to Macau with Us
Ruins of St. Paul’s in Macau
Macau is not just the “Las Vegas of China”; it is also an extravagant fusion of East and West in lifestyle, architecture, and food. Only one hour away by ferry or coach, Macau is a great excursion when touring Hong Kong tour. Find your inspiration from our 1-Day Private Macau Tour from Hong Kong, or tell us your travel ideas and we’ll help you experience Macau your way.