Latest FAQs about China Visa

Written by Sally Guo Updated May. 31, 2023

Usually, foreign travelers need a visa when traveling or doing business in China. So, we collected some FAQs from our customers' emails, the Chinese embassy’s websites, and several travel forums for your information.

1. Can I apply for a China visa online?

No, you can’t apply for and get a China visa online. E-visa is not available in China. The consular officer needs your passport to put the visa in it, you are required to have your fingerprints collected.

It is possible to download the visa application form and submit it online.

Suppose you are eligible for the China Online Visa Application system. In that case, you can fill in the application form online and print it out to submit it at your nearest visa application center.

If not, you need to download the China Visa Application Form, print it out, and fill in it. 

2. Can I get a visa to China in Hong Kong?

Yes, it is possible to obtain a visa to China while in Hong Kong. Foreigners who hold ordinary passports can submit visa applications via the Chinese Visa Application Service Center in Hong Kong.

Information about the CVASC is as follows:

China Work Visa issued in Hong Kong
China Visa issued in Hong Kong


1. It is still up to the Commissioner's Office to decide whether or not to issue a visa, the China Visa Application Service Center has no decision on visa approval.

2. Besides collecting visa fees and express service fees on behalf of the Commissioner's Office, the Chinese Visa Application Service Centre will also charge service fees. For more information, please contact the Chinese Visa Application Service Centre or visit its website.

3. Is a China visa valid in Hong Kong?

No. Hong Kong is a Special Administrative Region of China and has its own visa policy and regulations.

A Hong Kong visa does not work in China Mainland and a China visa does not work in Hong Kong. For travelers who wish to visit both the China Mainland and Hong Kong, separate visa arrangements are required. 

Citizens from 170 countries/regions may visit Hong Kong without a visa. Read on Hong Kong visa and check the list.

4. Can I get an invitation letter from your company for my visa application?

Yes, we can provide an invitation letter with our company seal for your visa application as long as you book a China tour with us. The invitation letter may be helpful for your China visa application.

Please take a look at our Top 10 China Tour to find a trip that suits your preferences. If you don't find a suitable option, you can contact us for a customized itinerary.

5. What if I need to overstay in China?

If you find yourself in a situation where you need to overstay in China due to unforeseen circumstances or an emergency, it is crucial to contact the local Public Security Bureau (PSB) Exit and Entry Administration office as soon as possible to extend your China visa.

Documents to apply for a visa extension include a valid passport and visa, a passport-sized photo, and a completed visa extension application form containing the reason for the extension.

Please note that overstaying can result in penalties, including fines, detention, deportation, and potential restrictions on future entry into China. It is always best to comply with immigration regulations and ensure your visa and stay are properly authorized.

6. What should I do if I lose my passport while staying in China?

Firstly, you should report the loss to the nearest Public Security Bureau (PSB) and obtain a loss report or certificate as soon as possible. This report is necessary to apply for a new passport or travel document and to help protect against identity theft or fraud.

Secondly, contact your country's embassy or consulate in China to report the loss and apply for a new passport or travel document. Be sure to bring your loss report or certificate from the PSB, as well as any other supporting documents, such as copies of your old passport.

Your embassy will issue an emergency passport or temporary travel document which will allow you to exit China or apply for a new visa.

7. Is it possible to travel to both Beijing and Shanghai without a visa?

Generally, no. China’s visa-free policy is not trans-regional. The 144-hr visa-free transit in Beijing and 144hr-visa-free transit in Shanghai should be separate.

Upon the policy, travelers are only allowed to travel in and around the permitted area, i.e. US-Shanghai-HK is an eligible flight route while US- Shanghai-Beijing-US is not.

However, you might make it possible if you separate your trip into different sections to match both visa-free policies in Beijing and Shanghai. Here’s a sample itinerary to travel to both Beijing and Shanghai without a visa:

8. There are only options for “family” and “given” names on the online application form. How to add a middle name?

You can put it in the given name section. For example, if your name is “John James Smith”, fill in the Family Name blank with Smith and the Given Name(s) blank with John James.

9. I will be traveling to China on company business and I will also meet my friends in China. What type of visa is most appropriate for me?

If you travel to China for multiple purposes, you may submit your application based on your main purpose and provide supporting documents accordingly.

You Might Want to Read

Create My Trip

Need Help?

Request a custom itinerary today and get one step closer to your personalized trip

Create Your Trip