Guilin Train Transport - Getting to Guilin by Train
Guilin is easily reached by normal trains and high-speed trains. There are trains or high-speed trains from or to Beijing, Shanghai, Xi’an, Guangzhou, Nanjing, Hangzhou, Chengdu, Suzhou and many other major Chinese cities.
Guilin - Guangzhou High-Speed Railway makes traveling time between Guilin and Guangzhou about 2.5 hours and Guilin and Guiyang, the ethnic minority areas about 2 hours. There are 16 high-speed trains running between Guiyang and Guangzhou each day.
There are three railway stations in Guilin: Guilin Railway Station, Guilin North Station, and Guilin West Station, offering railway tickets to most cities in China.
Guilin Railway Station or Guilin Nan Railway Station
Location: It is located at Zhongshan South Road (Zhongshan Nan Lu) in Xiangshan District, close to the bus station.
There are trains from Guilin Railway Station to the major cities in China like Beijing, Shanghai, Xi’an, Guangzhou, Nanjing, Hangzhou, Chengdu, and the northeast city, Harbin.
Located in the city center on the main street of Guilin (Zhongshan Road), Guilin South Railway Station is convenient. Around the station, there are plenty of budget hotels. The best hotel close to the Railway Station is Guilin Osmanthus Hotel, which is a three-star hotel.
Guilin Railway Station to Major Attractions around Guilin
1. Guilin Railway Station – Yangshuo: There are some buses waiting on the square in front of the station to head to Yangshuo. Buses run to Yangshuo every five to ten minutes.
2. Guilin Railway Station – Longji Terraced Field: Buses for Longji Terraced Field are also available on the square of Guilin South Railway Station.
3. Guilin Railway Station – to Seven Star Park: public bus No. 11
4. Guilin Railway Station - Elephant Park, Fubo Hill and Folded Brocade Hill: bus No. 2 and Tourist Bus No. 1.
5. Guilin Railway Station - Guilin Central Bus Station: 1) Head to the north after getting out of Guilin Nan Railway Station, and walk along the street for 10 minutes. You will see the Bus Station. 2) If you do not want to go to Bus Station on foot, you can take the well-equipped public bus No. 100, 99, 2, 3, 10 or 11. The bus fare of Guilin public buses ranges from 1 to 2 yuan.
6. Guilin Railway Station– Guilin Bei (North) Railway Station: Public bus NO. 99; or take a taxi with a cost of about 30 yuan and about half an hour.
1. It takes at least over 20 hours from Beijing and Shanghai to Guilin and the slowest trains can take 30 to 40 hours. The starting time is often in the morning and afternoon. A high-speed train takes about 10 and a half hours.
2. You’d better book the back round trip ticket five days in advance. While in the holiday seasons (Chinese Spring Festival, May 1 to 3 and October 1 to 7), it would be 15 days earlier to get a high-speed train ticket or a sleeper ticket.
3.It takes less than15 RMB from the station to Guilin downtown by taxi.
4. Drivers on the buses to Longji and Yangshuo do not speak English. Therefore, it is recommended that you have a guide or a friend who speaks English to accompany you.
Guilin Bei (North) Railway Station
Location: It is located in the north of the city, around 10 kilometers away from the city center.
Guilin Bei Railway Station is much larger than the station in the city center. Take high-speed trains to Guangzhou and Guiyang at this station. This station serves high-speed trains. Only a few regular speed trains pass there.
How to get to Guilin North Railway Station: bus nos. 1, 32, 83, 100, 301, 303, and 211.
Guilin West Railway Station – for the Guilin-HK HSR
Location: Located in Dingjiang Town, Lingchuan County, Guilin City and about 10 km (6 miles) north of Guilin downtown, Guilin West Railway Station (桂林西站) mainly serves the passing between Guiyang and Guangzhou.
How to get there: bus nos. 22 and 303.
As of 2019, Guilin West Railway Station is the only railway station in Guangxi that provides direct high-speed trains to Hong Kong. Passengers can take G311 from Guilin West to Kong Hong West Kowloon (or in reverse), which takes less than three and a half hours.