Nian Gao - Chinese New Year Cake
Nian Gao (年糕 nián gāo), also called "rice cake" or "Chinese New Year cake", is a traditional food which made from glutinous rice flour and eaten during Chinese New Year.
Chinese New Year cake/Niao Gao is a must-eat snack for the Chinese Spring Festival. Eating Nian Gao always means a happy and lucky next year.
Symbols and Meaning of Eating Nian Gao
Nian Gao is a traditional food eaten during the Chinese New Year. People believed it carries auspicious meaning.
Nian Gao is a homonym for "higher year" which means a better life and luck in the coming year.
For old people, Nian Gao expresses the wish for longevity. For young people, it expresses the wish for promotion and high income. For kids, it expresses the wish to grow up.
The color of Nian Gao, yellow and white symbolizes Wealth. In Chinese culture, yellow symbolizes gold and white symbolizes silver.
Top Nian Gao Recipes
There are many different recipes for Nian Gao in China.
In northern China, local people usually eat white Nian Gao, which tastes sweet.
In southern China, Red, green, or purple rice cakes made from vegetable dye are common. The taste can be sweet, spicy, and salty. They are usually cooked with vegetables and meat.
3 Easy Steps to Make Nian Gao
Traditional Nian Gao is usually made from glutinous rice flour, sugar (or salt), and water. It is very easy!
- Step 1: Put glutinous rice flour, sugar (or salt), and water in a bowl and mix them up.
- Step 2: Stir thoroughly until the batter is smooth (without any lumps).
- Step 3: Pour the batter evenly into the pan and steam for about 1 hour.
You can add other food ingredients such as jujube, peanuts, or sesame on the top of Nian Gao for extra flavoring or decoration.
Tips to Eat Nian Gao the Local Way
1. Chinese people usually put some red paper on top of the Nian Gao. It is a traditional way to show good wishes, so don't be surprised.
2. Don't eat too much at a time as Nian Gao is made from glutinous rice flour, it is hard to digest.
3. Store Nian Gao in a dry and cool place. It can be stored for a long time (half a year) in the refrigerator. Just reheat it with a steamer or microwave when you are ready to eat.