Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon
Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon is a natural wonderland incorporating mountains, streams, caves, cliffs, and forest. It is located close to Wulingyuan Scenic Area, covering a total area of over 60 square kilometers.
We recommend you go hiking from the top of the canyon and then move downhill to the long and deep valley.
Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon Facts
- Name in Chinese: Zhāngjiājiè Dàxiágǔ 张家界大峡谷
- Location: Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon Scenic Area, Sanguansi Town, Cili County, Zhangjiajie
- Opening Hours: March-November: 07:30-17:30, December-February: 08:00 to 16:00; 08:00-17:00 during Chinese New Year Holiday
- Best Time to Visit: early morning hours
- Tickets: RMB 256 P/P for the Grand Canyon + the Glass Bridge; RMB 138 P/P only for the Glass Bridge (only available during 15:20-17:00)
Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon Scenic Area offers gorgeous views of karst landscapes.
It is lush with vegetation and fresh air. Flying waterfalls, springs and cliffs can be seen all the way down the canyon. A south-north wooden boardwalk is built along the water and the world’s highest glass bridge is suspended over the canyon.
What to Do in Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon?
Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon is famous for the Glass Bridge. But you can also expect to find some other adventures in this very long and deep canyon, such as hiking, boating, and ziplining. You can spend an entire day there.
1. Visit the world’s highest glass bridge
Zhangjiajie Glass Bridge is the tallest and longest glass bridge in the world. It is 430 meters long, 6 meters wide, and 300 meters from the bottom of the canyon. A bird’s-eye view of the canyon can be seen standing on the glass bridge.
2. Meet the Strip of Sky
The Strip of Sky, or One Line Sky, is a 700-meter long valley surrounded by steep cliffs. It is a narrow gorge close to the entrance gate of Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon and looks like a passageway to the canyon.
Looking at the sky from here, you will feel like the sky has become a thin ribbon. Hence the name “Strip of Sky”.
3. Walk through the Sky Ladder
Passing through the “Strip of Sky”, you’ll see the “Sky Ladder”. It is a wooden walkway built along steep cliffs and ridges and spans from the top of a mountain down to the bottom.
It is named as such because it looks like a ladder that leads you to the sky.
4. Get a fun slide down
The 600 meters long Nuokeli Slideway is built between the Strip of Sky and the bottom walkway of the canyon. By taking this slideway from the top of the mountain down into the green forest, you can enjoy wonderful scenery and save your strength for the following hike. It takes 3-5 minutes and costs RMB 20 p/p.
5. Hike Through the Grand Canyon
To fully experience the beautiful scenery of the Grand Canyon of Zhangjiajie, it is suggested to spend 3 to 4 hours there. Here is a recommended hiking route that covers all the highlights of the canyon with no detour:
The Glass Bridge (or A Strip of Sky → Sky Ladder) → the skywalk down to the canyon → plank road along the canyon → the reservoir for a boat ride → exit the scenic area.
- Tickets are not available on spot, you need to book online or through a travel agency. Passports are needed. If you travel with us, we will book the tickets for you in advance.
- It is suggested to take a rain-proof coat in case of the changing of weather and take an umbrella or raincoat in case of getting wet when going through the places that flying springs flow down.
- There is a left luggage counter before the check-in entrance however the entrance and exit are in different places. It is advised to leave your big belongings at your hotel or private car.
- Belongings except for wallet and mobile phones are not allowed to take onto the glass bridge.
- Zhangjiajie Glass Bridge might be closed during extremely bad weather days, so keep your eyes on any weather warnings before you go.
- Bungee jumping in Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon is still not ready. We’ll update this page as soon as there’s an official announcement.
How to Get to Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon?
Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon is 28 km from Wulingyuan and 60 km from Zhangjiajie downtown. You can travel to the canyon by public bus, or simply by private transport.
Buses from Wulingyuan Bus Station will take you directly to the entrance of Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon. The bus leaves every 20 minutes between 7 am and 5 pm. A single trip takes 40 minutes and costs about 15 RMB.
From Zhangjiajie City
You can take a bus from Zhangjiajie Central Bus Station (right next to Zhangjiajie Railway Station) to Jiangya Hot Spring (江垭温泉).
Then, get off at the exit gate of the Grand Canyon Scenic Area midway through the trip.
Next, catch a tourist shuttle bus to the entrance of the canyon.
From Zhangjiajie Airport
There is no direct bus from Zhangjiajie Airport to the Grand Canyon. You will need to get to Zhangjiajie Central Bus Station first.
If you hate the transfer hassle, the best way is to book a private car. Feel free to contact us and arrange one. Our experienced local drivers are ready to take you to wherever you want.
The Grand Canyon of Zhangjiajie is close to Wulingyuan Scenic Area, the main tourist area in Zhangjiajie that covers the following attractions:
Yellow Dragon Cave, a massive underground karst cave where you can take a boat ride on an underground river inside.
Baofeng Lake, a man-made lake made by blocking the local gorge.
Zhangjiajie National Forest Park, where you will see the South Pillar of Heaven Mountain, known as Hallelujah Mountain, which is said to have inspired the floating mountains in Avatar.
A Suggested Tour Itinerary for you to combine the Grand Canyon with other attractions in Zhangjiajie.
Day 1: Airport pickup and hotel drop-off;
Day 2: Zhangjiajie National Forest Park (Avatar Mountain + Bailong Elevator);
Day 3: Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon with Glass Bridge + Baofeng Lake;
Day 4: Tianmen Mountain + Airport transfer.