How to Apply for a Tibet Permit

Written by Sally Guo Updated Jun. 25, 2021

Tibet Entry Permit (or Tibet Visa) is a necessary entry pass to Tibet for every foreign traveler- in addition to a mainland Chinese visa. It is not allowed for foreigners to travel to Tibet independently, so you need to find a China-based travel agency to organize your tour and apply for the Tibet Visa for you. The following information can help visitors get Tibet Entry Permits and travel successfully in Tibet.

Who Needs a Tibet Permit

Remarks: Hong Kong and Macau residents who hold Chinese SAR passports or “Permit to Traveling to and from Hong Kong and Macau” do not need a Tibet Entry Permit.

How to Get Your Tibet Visa

It is not allowed for foreigners to apply for permits and travel in Tibet independently, so to get a Tibet Visa, you need to:

Note: Ordinary travel agencies have no authority to apply for the Tibet Travel Permit for diplomats, government officials, journalists, and professional media photographers. They can only travel to Tibet under the arrangement of the Foreign Affairs Department, Economic Development Committee, and the like.

Tibet Visa from Nepal – Group Visa

Tibet Travel Permit
Tibet Visa (Group), listing travel duration and travel route

Requirements and restrictions for entry into Tibet from Nepal:

Note: Middle-Eastern countries include Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, UAE, Oman, Qatar, Bahrain, Turkey, Israel, Palestine, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Yemen, Cyprus, Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco, Madeira, Azores Islands.

Extra Tibet Permits Will Be Needed If You Travel Outside Lhasa

There are 3 kinds of permits to Tibet including the Tibet Travel Permit (Tibet Visa), Aliens’ Travel Permit, and Military Area Entry Permit. The Tibet Visa allows you to enter Tibet and visit Lhasa’s attractions including the Potala Palace, Sera Monastery, Jokhang Temple, etc. but if you want to visit the restricted areas outside Lhasa, for example, Everest Base Camp, extra Tibet permits will be needed.

Alien’s Travel Permit

The Aliens’ Travel Permit needs to be applied for with your original passport and Tibet Visa after you enter Tibet; it is the must-have permit to visit the following restricted areas:

Military Area Entry Permit

Bome, Lhoka, and Ngari are also sensitive regions in Tibet, which require a Military Permit to visit. But it is rarely used as only a few special tours involve those places. A passport and Tibet permit are the documents required to apply for the Military Permit- which is only issued by the Military Office in Lhasa. Usually, applying for a Military Permit takes one or two weeks.

Tips for Traveling in Tibet

Enjoy One-Stop Carefree Tibet Tours with China Travel

There is more than just Mt. Everest in Tibet. The Buddhist culture in Lhasa, Mount Kailash in Ngari, and the three “holy lakes”- Yamdrok, Manasarovar, and Namtso, are also worth a visit. Contact us to get professional trip advice on Tibet travel and start your once-in-a-lifetime journey!

Small Group: 6-Day Lhasa and Shigatse Tour

  • Day 1 Airport/Train station to hotel transfer (Lhasa)
  • Day 2 Lhasa: Potala Palace--Johkang Temple--Barkor Street
  • Day 3 Lhasa: Drepung Monastery--Sera Monastery
  • Day 4 Lhasa to Gyantse to Shigatse: Yamdrotso Lake--Karola Glacier--Gyantse Kumbum--Pelkor Monastery
  • Day 5 Shigatse to Lhasa: Tashilunpo Monastery--River View of Brahmaputra
  • Day 6 Hotel to Airport/Train station transfer (Lhasa)

Contact us via WeChat
for tour inquiry

Scan ChinaTravel QR Code

Create My Trip

Need Help?

Request a custom itinerary today and get one step closer to your personalized trip

Create Your Trip