Is it worth going to China during Spring Festival? Well, traveling to China during the period of Chinese New Year has both advantages and disadvantages. It is wise to weigh up if the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.
Tips for Traveling to China during Chinese New Year
1. Try to avoid traveling by rail as trains will be crowded during the period of the Spring Rush (Chunyun). Train tickets will be sold out very quickly.
2. Arrange your itinerary beforehand and make reservations for flights and hotels in advance.
3. Collect as much information on Chinese New Year celebrations in the city you are going to stay, such as firework shows, temple fairs, and other celebrative activities for the locals.
4. Learn enough about the cultures of Chinese New Year, and get familiar with what Chinese locals will do during the festival.
5. Bring enough warm clothes as Chinese New Year usually comes on the coldest days of the year in China.
6. Chinese people prepare a lot of luxurious and delicious food during the Spring Festival, what they eat is rich in calories, and people may get sick by having too much Chinese New Year food. It'd better prepare some medicines in advance and try to have good control of the temptation of the delicacies.
FAQs about Chinese New Year
1. Can I travel to China during the Chinese New Year?
Yes, of course. But you have to face that a big crowd of people head back to their hometowns. Airports, railway stations, coach stations are full of people. And the price of transport is more expensive than usual. But the situation will be much better after Chinese New Year's Eve.
2. Which places are warm destinations to experience Chinese New Year?
Yunnan Province in Southwestern China, Sanya, Hong Kong in the south of China.
3. Whether I need to book in advance during the holiday?
Yes, for sure. It is wise to book hotels and flight tickets for two months in advance. Four months in advance is even not a bad idea. However, last-minute bookings won't be a big problem with a higher payment.
4. Is everything closed during Chinese New Year?
No. Most restaurants, attractions, hotels, and airports won't be closed. But the working hours will be limited and shorten.
5. What is closed during Chinese New Year?
Government offices, factories such as clothing factories, some small restaurants, and shops will be closed.
6. Can I eat out on New Year's Eve?
Yes. Booking in advance is the best way. Some restaurants and hotels offer a unique meal for New Year's Eve. If you want to have a traditional Chinese New Year's Eve meal, just book it ahead.