Weather in Beijing experiences significant seasonal variation over the course of the year. January is the coldest month in Beijing. The weather is chilly, windy, and very dry. It snows occasionally, you can expect ground ice and snowfall. The wind is stronger and the temperature is lower in the suburb such as the Great Wall.
With the average temperature well below freezing, January is not a perfect time to visit Beijing. If you don't mind the cold weather, you can take advantage of the lower tourist numbers and have a chance to view beautiful snow scenery which cannot be found in the high season.
What to Wear in Beijing in January
1. Down jackets, padded trousers, woolen sweaters, and thermals. You will need something for the chilly and windy weather, so warm coats and underwear are necessary. Make sure to bring a coat with a strong outer shell that can repel wind, and keep you sufficiently warm.
2. Hat, gloves, and scarf. Especially if you plan on climbing the Great Wall, the wind is very strong and you may need your hands for some of the hiking, and you won’t want to get them wet on the freezing earth.
3. Thick socks and snow boots. Beijing is so cold in January, keeping your feet toasty warm is important.
Is January a good time to visit Beijing?
If you like the possibility of snow and don’t mind the cold weather, January is a good time to visit Beijing. There are a few advantages and disadvantages to visiting Beijing in January.
- The bone-piercing cold drives most tourists away except for the most dedicated. Expect fewer tourists and more open space without too many people.
- January is part of the off-season, entrance fees, accommodation, and airfare prices are cheaper.
- Have a chance to view beautiful snow scenery.
- Have a chance to enjoy skiing.
- It is cold! With the average temperature well below freezing, be prepared for inclement weather.
- Bringing warm coats is necessary, but it will increase your baggage burden.
- The air quality is bad in winter, the concentrations of PM2.5 are high.
- Some activities as rowing are impossible when the water is frozen.
What to Do in Beijing in January
1. Join in the Chinese New Year celebration. Chinese New Year usually falls at the end of January or in early February. There are many cultural activities in Beijing downtown, such as temple fairs, lion dances, and displays of lanterns. The most popular temple fairs are held at Ditan Temple, Longtan Temple, and Glass Factory (Liulichang). This is the best time to experience authentic Chinese culture.
2. View beautiful snow scenery at the Forbidden City and Jingshan Park. When the whole palace becomes white with snow, you will have a chance to take a wonderful picture.
3. Enjoy skiing activities. January is the best month to hit the slopes. There are many ski resorts near Beijing, such as Nanshan Ski Resort, Badaling Ski Resort, Jundushan Ski Resort, Huaibei Ski Resort…..
Tips for Visiting Beijing in January
Chinese New Year in Beijing
1. Beware of the Spring Festival period, it usually falls at the end of January or in early February. This holiday is the busiest travel time all over the country when trains and flights are fully booked days before departure.
2. Prepare some masks. The air quality is bad in winter, the concentrations of PM2.5 are high. You are suggested to wear a mask to protect yourself from air pollution.
3. Wear a sweater or good thermal indoor. Though Beijing is very cold in winter, it is quite warm inside the house and vehicles, heating is supplied 24 hours a day.
4. Bring moisturizer and lip balm. Beijing is extremely dry in winter, no matter indoor (- heating) or outdoor (- wind). Your skin may chap and become uncomfortable, moisturizer can soften the skin.
Tour Beijing with Us
Beijing Weather in January is regularly bad. How to maximize your travel experience even when it’s snowy and cold? If you tour Beijing with us, our experienced English-speaking guides will escort you and adjust your itinerary according to the weather changes. They are local and know everything about Beijing.
Please feel free to share with us your tour ideas. We look forward to serving you soon! Perhaps one of our best Beijing tours will interest you: