Compared with November, Beijing’s weather in December become colder and dryer. It seldom rains. December is the clearest month of the year, almost every day is sunny. It snows occasionally. Due to the low temperatures, the snow will not melt quickly so you have a chance to view beautiful snow scenery.
If you don't mind the cold weather and like a dry sunny day, visit Beijing in December is good, you can take advantage of the lower tourist numbers. And it is also a perfect time to enjoy various skiing activities.
What to Wear in Beijing in December
1. Down jackets, padded trousers, woolen sweaters, and thermals. You will need something for the chilly and windy weather, so warm coats and underwear are necessary. Make sure to bring a coat with a strong outer shell that can repel wind, and keep you sufficiently warm.
2. Hat, gloves, and scarf. Especially if you plan on climbing the Great Wall, the wind is very strong and you may need your hands for some of the hiking, and you won’t want to get them wet on the freezing earth.
3. Thick socks and warm boots. Beijing is so cold in December, keeping your feet toasty warm is important.
Is December a Good Time to Visit Beijing?
If you like the possibility of snow and don’t mind the cold weather, December is a good time to visit Beijing. There are a few advantages and disadvantages to visiting Beijing in December.
- The bone-piercing cold drives most tourists away except for the most dedicated. Expect fewer tourists and more open space without too many people.
- December is part of the off-season, entrance fees, accommodation, and airfare prices are cheaper.
- Have a chance to view beautiful snow scenery.
- Have a chance to enjoy skiing.
- It is cold! With the average temperature well below freezing, be prepared for inclement weather.
- Bringing warm coats is necessary, but it will increase your baggage burden.
- The air quality is bad in winter, the concentrations of PM2.5 are high.
- Some activities as rowing are impossible when the water is frozen.
What to Do in Beijing in December
1. View the beauty of the Forbidden City and the Great Wall in less crowd. The Forbidden City and the Great Wall are the most popular attractions in Beijing, they will be crowded and packed in high season. If you want to savor the sights in a quiet environment and a sunny day, December is a good choice.
2. Visit the National Museum and Hutong. Compared with the above outdoor attractions, indoor attractions offer you pleasant views combined with warm conditions in the cold winter. You will learn Chinese history in the famous museum. By visiting a local family in the Hutong area, you will experience authentic Chinese culture.
3. Enjoy skiing activities. December is the best month to hit the slopes. There are many ski resorts near Beijing, such as Nanshan Ski Resort, Badaling Ski Resort, Jundushan Ski Resort, Huaibei Ski Resort…..
Tips for Visiting Beijing in December
1. Put on more clothes when you visit the Great Wall. There are many sections of the Great Wall in Beijing, all of them are located on the outskirts of Beijing. The wind is stronger and the temperature is lower in the suburban area, especial at the top of the mountains.
2. Prepare some masks. The air quality is bad in winter, the concentrations of PM2.5 are high. You are suggested to wear a mask to protect yourself from air pollution.
3. Wear a sweater or good thermal indoor. Though Beijing is very cold in winter, it is quite warm inside the house and vehicles, heating is supplied 24 hours a day.
4. Bring moisturizer and lip balm. Beijing is extremely dry in winter, no matter indoor or outdoor. Your skin may chap and become uncomfortable, use moisturizer can protect your skin from being hurt by cold wind outdoor and dry heating indoor.
Tour Beijing with Us
Beijing weather in December is regularly bad. How to maximize your travel experience even when it’s snowy and cold? If you tour Beijing with us, our experienced English-speaking guides will escort you and adjust your itinerary according to the weather changes. They are local and know everything about Beijing.
Please feel free to share with us your tour ideas. We look forward to serving you soon! Perhaps one of our best Beijing tours will interest you:
Back to Beijing Weather