Beijing Weather in February
February is still winter, the temperatures don't get much above freezing. Like January, Beijing is still very cold in February. With strong wind outdoor and 24-hour heating supplied indoor, Beijing is extremely dry in winter.
Though February is not a perfect time to visit Beijing, if you don't mind the cold weather, you can take advantage of the lower tourist numbers. Chinese New Year may fall in early or mid-February, during that period you can experience the colorful festival activities and authentic Chinese culture.
Average February Weather Statistics in Beijing
- Average Temperature: -0.3º Celsius (31º Fahrenheit)
- High Temperature: 5º Celsius (41º Fahrenheit)
- Low Temperature: -5.6º Celsius (22º Fahrenheit)
- Rainfall: 5 Millimeters (0.2 Inches)
- Rainy Days: 1
- Humidity: 44%
- Average Sunrise Time: 07:07
- Average Sunset Time: 17:49
Beijing Temperature in February
What to Wear in Beijing in February
1. Down jackets, padded trousers, woolen sweaters, and thermals. You will need something for the chilly and windy weather, so warm coats and underwear are necessary. Make sure to bring a coat with a strong outer shell that can repel wind, and keep you sufficiently warm.
2. Hat, gloves, and scarf. Especially if you plan on climbing the Great Wall, the wind is very strong and you may need your hands for some of the hiking, and you won’t want to get them wet on the freezing earth.
3. Thick socks and warm boots. Beijing is so cold in February, keeping your feet toasty warm is important.
Is February a good time to visit Beijing?
If you like the possibility of snow and don't mind the cold weather, February is a good time to visit Beijing. There are a few advantages and disadvantages to visit Beijing in February.
- The bone-piercing cold drives most tourists away except for the most dedicated. Expect fewer tourists and more open space without too many people.
- February is part of the off-season, entrance fees, accommodation, and airfare prices are cheaper.
- Have a chance to view beautiful snow scenery.
- Have a chance to enjoy skiing.
- It is cold! With the average temperature well below freezing, be prepared for inclement weather.
- Bringing warm coats is necessary, but it will increase your baggage burden.
- The air quality is bad in winter, the concentrations of PM2.5 are high.
- Some activities as rowing are impossible when the water is frozen.
What to Do in Beijing in February
1. Join in the Chinese New Year celebration. There are many cultural activities in Beijing downtown during the Spring Festival, such as temple fairs, lion dances, and displays of lanterns. The most popular temple fairs are held at Ditan Temple, Longtan Temple, and Glass Factory (Liulichang). This is the best time to experience authentic Chinese culture.
2. View the beauty of the Forbidden City and the Great Wall in less crowd. The Forbidden City and the Great Wall are the most popular attractions in Beijing, they will be crowded and packed in high season. If you want to savor the sights in a quiet environment, February is a good choice.
3. Enjoy skiing activities. February is the best month to hit the slopes. There are many ski resorts near Beijing, such as Nanshan Ski Resort, Badaling Ski Resort, Jundushan Ski Resort, Huaibei Ski Resort….. Please note that the Beijing ski season usually over at the end of February.
Tips for Visiting Beijing in February
Chinese New Year in Beijing
1. Beware of the Spring Festival period, it usually falls at the end of January or in early February. This holiday is the busiest travel time all over the country when trains and flights are fully booked days before departure.
2. Prepare some masks. The air quality is bad in winter, the concentrations of PM2.5 are high. You are suggested to wear a mask to protect yourself from air pollution.
3. Wear a sweater or good thermal indoor. Though Beijing is very cold in winter, it is quite warm inside houses and vehicles, heating is supplied 24 hours a day.
4. Bring moisturizer and lip balm. Beijing is extremely dry in winter, no matter indoor or outdoor. Your skin may chap and become uncomfortable, use moisturizer can protect your skin from being hurt by cold wind outdoor and dry heating indoor.
Tour Beijing with Us
Beijing weather in February is regularly bad. How to maximize your travel experience even when it’s snowy and cold? If you tour Beijing with us, our experienced English-speaking guides will escort you and adjust your itinerary according to the weather changes. They are local and know everything about Beijing.
Please feel free to share with us your tour ideas. We look forward to serving you soon! Perhaps one of our best Beijing tours will interest you: