Beijing Weather in March
Compared with chilly February, the temperature in March rises gradually, the harsh and freezing weather has left. However, it is not warm enough to take off winter clothes. It still cold in March, the average temperature is only 6 ℃ (43℉).
Unlike most cities in southern China, Beijing is still dry and seldom rains in March. This month is not as cold as it in the harsh winter, it can be a good time to visit Beijing.
Average March Weather Statistics in Beijing
- Average Temperature: 6º Celsius (43º Fahrenheit)
- High Temperature: 11.6º Celsius (53º Fahrenheit)
- Low Temperature: 0.4º Celsius (33º Fahrenheit)
- Rainfall: 9 Millimeters (0.4 Inches)
- Rainy Days: 1
- Humidity: 46%
- Average Sunrise Time: 06:23
- Average Sunset Time: 18:22
Beijing Temperature in March
What to Wear in Beijing in March
Wearing a windbreaker jacket
1. Warm jackets, sweatpants, sweaters, and thermals. In northern China, Beijing’s spring is still cold. The indoor heating will continue to be provided in the first two weeks of March. You still need warm jackets and pants for outdoor activities.
2. Hat, gloves, and scarf. Especially if you plan on climbing the Great Wall, the wind is still strong and you may need your hands for some of the hiking.
3. Thick socks and warm shoes. Beijing is still cold in March, keeping your feet toasty warm is important.
Is March a good time to visit Beijing?
Weather in March is not as cold as it in harsh winter, it can be a good time to visit Beijing. There are a few advantages and disadvantages to visiting Beijing in March.
- Compared with the warmer April, the number of tourists will be much thinner in March, especial in early March. Popular attractions are not very crowded.
- You can get good discounts on entrance tickets, accommodation, and airfare.
- The weather is still cold in March. The indoor heating will continue to be provided 24 hours every day.
- The air quality is bad in March, the concentrations of PM2.5 are high. There is sand-dust storm occasionally.
- Some activities as rowing are impossible when the water is frozen.
What to Do in Beijing in March
1. View the Forbidden City. The Forbidden City, in the very heart of Beijing, is the largest and best-preserved ancient imperial architectural complex in the world. It is a must-see attraction in Beijing.
2. Hike on the Great Wall. As an icon of China, the Great Wall has a high reputation both at home and abroad. It is a must-see attraction in Beijing, too. It is not very crowded in March, you still have a chance to hike on the wall in a relatively quiet environment.
3. Visit the Hutong and a local family. Hutong is a maze of historic alleyways with old single-story traditional courtyard houses, which are now fast disappearing. By visiting a local family in the Hutong area, you will experience authentic Chinese culture.
Tips for Visiting Beijing in March
1. Prepare some masks. The air quality is usually bad in March, the concentrations of PM2.5 are high and there is sand-dust storm occasionally. You are suggested to wear a mask to protect yourself from air pollution and sandstorm.
2. Put on more clothes when you visit the Great Wall. There are many sections of the Great Wall in Beijing, all of them are located on the outskirts of Beijing. The wind is stronger and the temperature is lower in the suburban area, especial at the top of the mountains.
3. Bring moisturizer and lip balm. Beijing is windy in March, the weather is still as dry as in winter. Use moisturizers can protect your skin from being hurt by the strong wind.
Tour Beijing with Us
Beijing weather in March is regularly good, but how to maximize your travel experience when it’s bad? If you tour Beijing with us, our experienced English-speaking guides will escort you and adjust your itinerary according to the weather changes. They are local and know everything about Beijing.
Please feel free to share with us your tour ideas. We look forward to serving you soon! Perhaps one of our best Beijing tours will interest you: