Zhujiajiao Water Town - The Closest Water Town to Shanghai
The ancient town of Zhujiajiao, the elegant side of Shanghai, is known for delicious snacks, delicate stone bridges, little rivers, old houses, willow trees, and zigzag stone streets.
With a history dating back over a thousand years, it is still the best-preserved town near Shanghai. Walking around in it takes you back in time and you may suddenly feel you are part of some Chinese legend.
- Transport: 1 hour’s drive from the Bund, Shanghai
- History: over 1,700 years
- Visiting time: 3 hours
- Suitable for: all people (but not recommended for the disabled)
- English signs: not many
The history of Zhujiajiao Ancient Town is over 1,700 years. Today, it is also known as the “Pearl Stream”. Among the four ancient towns within Shanghai, it is Zhujiajiao Ancient Town which is most preserved. Despite the modernizations which were adapted by the town, it has still successfully kept its traditional beauty which is seen with the antique bridges, age-old willow trees, and houses with traditional architecture.
Why We Recommend Zhujiajiao Ancient Water Town
Although the atmosphere in Zhujiajiao is different from Venice, it is known as the “Venice of the East”, because of all the waterways going through the town. There are 36 old bridges and 9 streets lining the rivers. It is a pearl of southeast China.
- It is a foodie’s paradise. Visitors like to sample snacks there.
- There are not many visitors in town in the mornings (before 12:00) on weekdays.
- It is the nearest popular ancient town to Shanghai.
- Over 1,000 well-preserved houses built in the Ming (1368–1644 AD) and Qing (1644–1912 AD) dynasties line the streets.
Seven Treasures Ancient Water Town
Why is it called Seven Treasures Town? Find your answer on Qibao Ancient Town.
The town is basically divided into 2 streets - South Street and North Street. There are many delicious snacks sold on South Street. It is an attraction for foodies and people from all over the world.
Jinze Ancient Water Town (2 hours)
- It is untouched by tourism. Most visitors don’t know this water town. But there are well-established facilities in the town. It is just 30 minutes drive from Zhujiajiao.
- It is the only water town near Shanghai to boat on your own. If you wish to boat for a while, the boatman will teach you. You can also just sit in the gondola and be taken around.
- It is famous for bridges. There were 42 famous bridges but only 7 can be seen now. The oldest bridge dates from the Song Dynasty (960-1279).
After visiting Zhujiajiao and Qibao, it is recommended that you also visit Jinze on the day.
How to Get to Zhujiajiao
Bus/Subway: The most affordable method.
- There is a tourist bus from Shanghai Stadium (Gate 5) in the mornings. The buses go directly to Zhujiajiao.
- Take Huzhu Express Line which is found at People's Square, Pu'an Road, and Jinling Road. The bus leaves every 30 minutes and the trip to Zhujiajiao Bus Station takes about an hour. Cost: RMB 12. Get off the bus and walk about 10 minutes to the town.
- Take Metro Line 17 from Shanghai Hongqiao Subway Station to Zhujiajiao Subway Station.
Taxi: One-way costs over 200 RMB. But it is hard to find a taxi to take you back to Shanghai.
With China Travel: This will solve your problems, like not knowing Chinese, finding the bus station, going to the wrong town and waiting. Our English-speaking guide and experienced driver will make your trip easy and fun, and serve your party only.
We pick you up at the place you tell us (hotel, cruise terminal, airport or train station) and guide you in Zhujiajiao, and then transfer you to the place you want to go: 1-Day Private Zhujiajiao Tour.
Best Time to Visit: in the morning of weekdays
The scenery is suitable for a visit all year round. But you will find that there are fewer people in the morning of weekdays. Also, avoid Chinese public holidays like National Day and Labor Day.
- RMB 80 for a boat cruise and eight scenic spots: Kezhi Garden, Shanghai Quanhua Watercolor Art Gallery, Yunjin Buddhist Temple, Shanghai Handicrafts Zhujiajiao Exhibition Hall, City God Temple, Qing Dynasty Post Office, Zhaxidawa Experience Museum of Tibetan Culture, Y-Art Gallery
- RMB 60 for eight scenic spots: Kezhi Garden, Shanghai Quanhua Watercolor Art Gallery, Yunjin Buddhist Temple, Shanghai Handicrafts Zhujiajiao Exhibition Hall, City God Temple, Qing Dynasty Post Office, Zhaxidawa Experience Museum of Tibetan Culture, Y-Art Gallery
- RMB 30 for four scenic spots: Kezhi Garden, Qing Dynasty Post Office, Zhaxidawa Experience Museum of Tibetan Culture, Y-Art Gallery
Tour Zhujiaojiao with China Travel
Join our Zhujiajiao Water Town Tour from Shanghai, we will help you enjoy the following:
- Exploring the highlights listed above without any hassles
- Taking a boat ride along the canal in Zhujiajiao
- Sampling snacks on South Street in Seven Treasures Town
- A driver with over 5 years of experience and an English-speaking guide with excellent knowledge of water towns, dedicated to serving your private party only on your tour day.
- Being picked up at the place you wish
Other Water Towns close to Shanghai
You may get confused with which water town is the best to go to if you are the first time to visit, so we list all the water towns with detailed information for your inspiration: